transfercase help

i have a 88mj. i can't find the plate that tells what drive i'm in.there is:

2h

4h

n

4l

i got these figures from the web site, but i'm not sure if my truck has this set up. do i ? if so:

is 2h where you keep the lever for street driving?

is 4h & 4l where you're driving in 4 wheel drive?

what is neutral for?

is it for shifting on the fly?

it might seem simple , but i'm overthinking it.

2H = Street driving

4H = Driving at higher speeds when extra traction is needed...NEVER ON DRY PAVEMENT

N = Neutral...nothing works

4L = Low range for off road only. Low speed...high torque

Yes...that is the pattern you will have. The 231 T-Case is a shift on the fly (up to 50 mph I believe) case, but it is not recommended that you do it unless you have no choice as it is not easy in most cases and you can cause severe damamge if you do it wrong.

If he has done a Warn hub conversion, than shifting on the fly is pointless as all it will do is put the t-case in 4HI, but the truck will still be 2WD because you have to get out and lock the hubs manually unless you drive around with them locked , which would not be a good idea.

The manaul locking hubs allow you to run a full locker, or even a spool if you want, in the front axle without and ill effects for daily driving. With the hubs unlocked your axle shafts will not turn therefore reducing drag as well as wear on other parts since the front driveshaft will not be turning either as it would in and axle with a traction device without manual hubs.