Replace timing chain?

Finally got around to pulling the engine today. Rebuilding the 2.5 and doing a 4wd swap at the same time. Need to take some pics and get a thread started in the projects section. Anyways I can't decide to reuse the timing chain or not. The engine is pretty tired with about 250k on it, but the timing chain/gears were replaced along with the tension thingy about 25k ago (I have the receipt, it was my dads truck). I really don't want to spend $150 on another timing set and would rather put it elsewhere into the rebuild. Keep or replace? I don't see any reason why I couldn't...

If the set is only 25K old, I probably wouldn't fuss with it. At the most, I'd pop the cover and inspect the tensioner to see how far it has self-adjusted itself, if any. If more than 1/3 I'd probably put a new one on.

My OEM set lasted to about 160K or so, and even then it was just the tensioner that was shot (but I replaced everything since I had it all torn down at that point).

Jeff

If the set is only 25K old, I probably wouldn't fuss with it. At the most, I'd pop the cover and inspect the tensioner to see how far it has self-adjusted itself, if any. If more than 1/3 I'd probably put a new one on.

My OEM set lasted to about 160K or so, and even then it was just the tensioner that was shot (but I replaced everything since I had it all torn down at that point).

Jeff

:agree:

It's just gettin' broke in... :cheers: