Starter Issue

All right it seems that everytime i replace or fix something a new problem pops up. :fs1: This time its the starter. About once every three to four starts the starter will hang and continue to engage and turn the flywheel. The only way to stop it is to pull the - battery cable. Other than that it starts and runs fine. Not to sure what to check for. :cheers:

All right it seems that everytime i replace or fix something a new problem pops up. :fs1:

Welcome to the world of Jeeps

:teehee:

Question.......when you disconnect the battery, and then re-connect it, dose the starter still engage, or do you need to turn the key to start???

Off the top of me head........I would think the starter relay is hanging up, applying current to the starter to engage it. and when you disconnect the battery, your "breaking" the current flow, and letting the relay "re-set"

A quick check, disconnect the wires from the I and G terminals, measure the resistance with an ohmmeter, this should be 22 ohms. Measure the resistance between either terminal and the battery negative post, resistance should be infinite. If defective, replace the relay. This is info from the FSM (electrical)

The other possibility would be the ignition switch is hanging up, the switch is mounted at the bottom of the steering column. But you say, when you disconnect the battery, it goes back to normal operation.

Welcome to the world of Jeeps

I am starting to realize this... :rotfl2: But what fun it is. :cheers:

Question.......when you disconnect the battery, and then re-connect it, dose the starter still engage, or do you need to turn the key to start???

No the stater does not engage, I have to turn the key to restart.

A quick check, disconnect the wires from the I and G terminals, measure the resistance with an ohmmeter, this should be 22 ohms. Measure the resistance between either terminal and the battery negative post, resistance should be infinite. If defective, replace the relay. This is info from the FSM (electrical)

I will try this this weekend. And I found the FSM and downloaded it. :clapping:

How much is the starter Relay?