alt change from delco to ND

I changed all the brackets on my 87 2.5l so I could mount an AC compressor to use the AC as an air pump. My trouble comes down to the alternator. The one in my 87 was a delco and i need to use the ND to mount up to the brackets. I know the heavy wires black to ground and red to battery. The small wires on the delco are yellow and tan and on the ND they are green and green w/orange trace. what combination should i use?

J B Cuz

I changed all the brackets on my 87 2.5l so I could mount an AC compressor to use the AC as an air pump. My trouble comes down to the alternator. The one in my 87 was a delco and i need to use the ND to mount up to the brackets. I know the heavy wires black to ground and red to battery. The small wires on the delco are yellow and tan and on the ND they are green and green w/orange trace. what combination should i use? J B Cuz

ASSume you are trying to install a 1991+ ND alternator into your Renix? If so, you will have to install along with it an external voltage regulator as the ND alts were regulated by the HO ECU. Check on NAXJA; there are some writeups there.

thanks for the help. i am going to try a ford voltage regulator. Is there any where on line I can look at the 91 wiring to find out which of the 2 wires is stator and field/ J B Cuz

According to my 91 FSM, the GRN lead goes to the "C" terminal on the back of the alt; this lead goes to pin 20 on the ECU and is labeled ALT OUTPUT. The GRN/RED lead goes to the alt "B" terminal and terminates at ECU pin 57 labeled AUTO SHUTDOWN SENSE. They both tie to the same point internally in the alt at the output of the diode bridge, so I can't tell which is for the stator and field.

See this link: http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/presto.html