3.7 in Comanche?

I am looking at buying a comanche and was looking at trucks. 4 cylinders seem to be what is out there in my college student budget. Just wondering if when I get around to needing more power. Is there more options for swaps than just 4.0 or small block? What is the easiest fuel injected option? I am also drawn to the 3.7 in the dakota because they have a 6 speed transmission that is used behind the V8 also (strong hopefully. I know the wrangler has a 4.0 6-speed combo to but I am into desert running and want 2wd lighter front end. Which wranglers are not 2wd so I like the dakotas combo. Thoughts? I am just spitballing at the moment.

It's much much cheaper to buy a 4.0L MJ than it is to buy a 2.5 or 2.8 and swap in a 4.0L.

But as far as swaps go if you've got the skills almost any motor (size permiting) can be swapped in. But just get a 4.0 MJ to start with, trust me you'll be much better off.

I think he said he doesn't want a 4.0L because if the weight.

In that case, I'd look at the GM 3.4L, since it uses the same block as the 2.8L V6 and you can source the mounts, brackets and manifolds, etc, from 84 - 86 Cherokees with the 2.8L.