Starter Issue

Okay I have had this problem for quite a long time I have gone through about 4 starters which all quit engaging with the flywheel. What happens is when I am crainking it over ususally when it is hot, the starter like kicks back, its weird I have never heard a vehicle do this before. When it kicks back I just let of of the ignition switch and start over sometimes it will do this 2 or 3 times before it starts when it is hot. 4 starters later I remember a tech telling that the flywheel has a notch in it that indicates TDC to the CPS and that it might be scratched or dirty. I have gone through four starters all which last about 6-7 months before they stop engaging with the flywheel. Grrrrrr... Anyone have any suggestions I really want to get this fixed once and for all. Thank you in advance for any help you may have.

What exactly do you mean? Does it turn over a few times and then all of a sudden the starter turns full speed without turning the engine over?

If that's the case the flywheel has a (few) missing or ground down teeth, which will eat the teeth on the starter motor gear, which would explain going through a starter twice a year.

Only permanent fix for that is to get a new starter AND a new flywheel.

For a little more detail, while I am cranking the motor there is no grinding the starter always engages with the flywheel. However when it is hot while cranking to start it almost seems like something gets jammed between the starter and flywheel and stops it from cranking briefly. Over about a 6 month period it does this and then I start having trouble with the starter engaging with the flywheel and I hear grinding. It almost seems like the starter is shorting out or something.