'89 2.5l overheating - water pump?

Ok, this started a few months ago with a condition where it would start overheating but if you added a few RPM it would cool back down. My job right now is about a half mile away from my house on base so when I drive the thermo just barely gets to opening, so you can see how this one would get put off. It was just not important enough.

Well, when my wife took the truck out to the store yesterday apparently the problem finally came out all the way. She came home with it pegged and some vapor showing. I replaced the heater valve (leaking) and the thermostat today, along with the radiator cap. No change, overheats really fast and never comes down. I am going to go recheck the water level in a few after it cools. the pressure was actually boiling out from under the water outlet. So at this point I am trying to decide where to go next. The upper radiator hose and the cap are hot. I can hear water transfer between the radiator and the overflow jug. My next guess would be a waterpump, but since this is my first 2.5L I wanted to know if there were any other suggestions.

no it does not,I almost drilled one. I have never had a problem either way with the bleed hole in any of the other jeeps I have owned though so I just threw it in. When I boiled the old thermo a bit ago it has failed about 90% so that was probably the main reason. And the heater valve does not leak anymore so that was probably a bit of a problem too.

I did get it fixed though. Ran it with the cap open. Once the t-stat opened I let it burble up and squeezed both hoses a lot. Then shut it off and re-filled it, squeezing both hoses again. It ran fine after all of that. Think I just had a pocket of air in there. It took a lot of water, even though you could see it in the radiator, just kept going in. Ran it at idle for a half hour after that with the heat on and off and then drove it around base for about 20 min same thing, works fine now.

those were my first guesses. However, the radiator feels equally hot over the entire surface, and the lower hose is quite warm. Also now that it is fixed it can sit and idle just fine, so I am not too worried about the clutch. I will however be switching to an electric fan in front once I get the 2500 stuff in.