my top pull of the winter so far. today i pulled out a.....

brdhntr

minnesota state trooper. he was buried bigtime. he was in so deep he literally couldn't get out of his car. i asked if he needed help and he said he had a tow coming. i offered to get him out and he was thrilled. of course i did it for the safety of the citizens of minnesota. what would have happened if there was an emergency? hmmmmmmmm.......i had to do it, you know, for the good of the people. : 8)

ok, i just wanted to help out. besides, how many people can say they've tugged out a cop car? so i now know where to put a tow strap on a cop car. for the record, the push bar on the front bumper will pull right off. no i didn't do it, he just advised me when i got the rope out (yelling out his window). i hooked on and tugged him out. man he was in there.

when i got it clear i got out and started to unhook the strap. that's when he informed me he's a neighbor and sees me all the time. i knew one lived by me (actually 2 and a total of 4 city cops and 4 fireman) but had never met him. well he knew me. we chatted a while and both took off.

i felt great to have helped him out, but was really glad when i found out he was a neighbor. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

so that's 18 tows this year so far. this year has included a 15 passenger church van full of people dressed in their sunday best, a plow (pick up with a plow), a tractor, a usps mail van, and now a highway patrol vehicle. hmmmm.... interesting year so far. :rotf: :rotf:

I pulled a NYS Trooper out of the median with my K 10 a long time ago. He was crossing to chase someone and didn't realize how muddy it was :rotfl2: . We ended up knowing some of the same cops. I'll take all the 'get out of jail free' karma I can get. He too was VERY thankful.

Here in NY, if you pull someone out of the ditch in the wrong area, you will be ticketed for doing so. Some places have a little kick back between the cops and the tow operators. I drove part time for a while and it got pretty contentious at times btwn tow companies.

nope, no pic's. i didn't think he would like it if i got out and started snapping pic's of him. would've been different if he could have gotten out of the car, but i don't think he wanted to be in any pic's. :D

as far as legallity, it is illegal unless you have warning lights and a permit/liscense. we got out to help a little old lady out of the ditch once. there was already a cop on the scene when we pulled up. he was sitting in the comfort of his warm car while the little old lady was stuck in the ditch with a dress on. when we pulled over to see if we could pull her out (it would've been a quick and easy pull) the cop got out and told us he would ticket us if we didn't get back in and leave. :no: that was an nd trooper. :huh???:

for the record, the push bar on the front bumper will pull right off.

Thats why they call them PUSH bumpers. :D We still treat them very gingerly because it has been proven that they will set off the air bags.... :eek: but thankfully most of the new units are coming in without them.

And yeah, the tow guys around here are quite competitive to the point we had to establish a log to keep track of who got the next tow.

We still treat them very gingerly because it has been proven that they will set off the air bags....

that wouldn't be a good thing. airbags deploying while you're trying to wreck a fleeing vehicle. that's just not a good thing! :no:

i was kinda surprised at how this one was tied into everything (it was a crown vic by the way). it was attached to a large metal chunk welded into the frame, then the skid plate (and a very heavy duty one at that) was bolted to the same brace at the front. i attached to where the brace met the frame. there was a small opening there to get the strap through. of course i had to set it up and pull it so i wouldn't damage the bumper. the push bar was just slid into the brace that mounts to the frame and held by 2 smaller bolts on each side. it defenitly would've pulled right off if i hooked to that.

i'm actually kind of surprised they didn't put a d ring or something to hook up to for towing. i know cops get stuck around here pretty often. when i worked for a ford dealership, the fords had a small "t" shapped opening on the front on one side and 1 on the back on 1 side specifically for towing. but that was a long time ago. :chillin: