ignition parts poll-what brand do you like?

what brand ignition components do you prefer?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. what brand ignition components do you prefer?

• accel
    • bosch
    • taylor
    • pertronix(flame thrower)
    • msd
    • autolite
    • other

I stick with OEM as much as possible. I have used the "hotter" ignition stuff & the "performance" stuff, but saw nothing to tell me that it was worth the money or effort. :shake:

The only thing I like over OE on ignition stuff is Bosch spark plugs.

except the platinums are junk in most stuff.

They are great in Chysler/Jeep/Dodge stuff as they are what you get if you order MOPAR Performance plugs ;) . I don't think I would try them in the 2.5L since it is not a "MOPAR" engine though.

From what I read the 4.0 Renix is happiest with the Champion copper plugs. As far as the rest of the ignition system, I have plenty of power relatively good gas mileage with stock parts, so that's what I'll keep running.

I have tried Bosch in most of my vehicles and the only one that was moderately happy with them was my Geo. My Olds 98 and Suburban refused anything but AC Delco. In the Suburban I went through spark plugs every 6 months, 4 different brands until I put the Delcos in. They've been in there for 3 years now and still fine.

I am still planning on changing out the injectors for the Ford Motorsports ones, but that doesn't apply to the 2.5 either.

From what I read the 4.0 Renix is happiest with the Champion copper plugs.
I have read that too, but have not personally tested it YET. My truck had a fresh tune-up when I bought it a little over a year ago so I have not messed with it...but, I will ;)

I have tried a few different plugs and a few different caps and wires so:

Plugs:

basically any copper plug is great, set the gap and be done. I have experienced little to no gain in platinum plugs in a 4.0. Copper burns HOTTER, platinum burns LONGER ie a longer plug life. Platinum was largely designed as an answer to vehicles that are hard to service, like transmounts and tightly placed v6s and v8s. Since the 4.0 is so easy to change I stick with copper. I have also seen more than one jeep have mysterious ignition and idle problems that came up just after switching to bosh +2 and +4 plugs. The problems were fixed by switching back to a normal plug. If it means anything to you, most of the guys I know running drag/street cars do not run gimmicky 2 and 4 prong plugs, or plugs with diamonds, or capasitors, or splits. They run NGK or Delco plugs, and most of the guys running nitrous and forced induction are running NGK TR555s.

Brands:

Champion - any copper, I like the truck plugs better, they have a huge electrode.

NGK - some dislike them, I will put them in anything, they are my personal choice. I use V-power copper plugs in my stroker. They are easier to mess with heat ranges if you are doing mods, it is part of the part number. I used the irridium in my sport bike, The SS LS1 camaro I had I used the platinums, and I just put the same set into my wifes blazer.

Delco - same, I just use a normal copper plug

Autolite - I have used both the copper and platinum in jeeps with no problems.

Wires:

The stroker has off the shelf professional series wires from advance auto. They have a life time warranty, and I have had zero problems with Ignition. I have arced through a set before, but that was before I got them loomed up good, and I was still troubleshooting with plug heat on the stroker so the plugs were fouled out anyway. A buddy runs a set of MSD wires. He bought a set of generic v8 wires and just used the 6 closest lengths since that was cheaper than ordering a set of Jeep specific wires.

Accel used to make good wires, but I have not used them recently.

cap and rotor:

this is one of the best places to splurge. A good cap and rotor is a nice hard thick plastic, with BRASS terminals. The cheapo ones are lighter and have other terminals in them. Sometimes the parts store will have a premium set that has better electrodes, I ordered a set from accel that has worked nicely.

coil:

the stock coil is just fine, there is no real need to upgrade it. If the jeep is running well and the plugs look good upon inspection, there is nothing to gain from upgrading it. I currently have an advance auto BWD brand coil on the stroker, and it works great. MSD and accel both make good high performance bolt on coils for Dodge and Jeep vehicles. Or you could make a Ford style canister coil work too if you want to hack up the harness. A friend has the MSD with no problems.

These have been my experiences with this stuff. 4 jeeps with 4.0s, 1 2.5L, a 2002 SS camaro I had up to a dynoed 340rwhp, a Honda CBR, a my Wifes 2000 Blazer.