Fuel system problems

Running low on fuel, took it up to town and fillled it up. Taking it home, stumbles under any push of the pedal. Thinking it must be clogged fuel filter or injectors from sucking crap up from the bottom of the tank. Need a little help.

If the filter has not been changed or you have reason to believe that it's clogged, then replace it first. After you replace that, do a fuel pressure test to determine if the problem is a failing fuel pump. If you have the ballast resistor, you could also bypass it and see if that makes any difference and may possibly be a bad resistor.

If you feel that replacement injectors are in order (and they probably are regardless of the real issue), then you can get a good set here... http://www.precisionautoinjectors.com/p ... roductId=7 If you get these injectors, be sure to use ' JEEP ' as the discount code when you check out and get 10% off :thumbsup:

Messing around with fuel pumps, filters and tank yesterday I discovered that an "obvious bad pump" as in can't push enough fuel any more to get up to 45mph and only if you baby it, starts bucking with too much pedal, and pump can be heard from 50" feet away, was completely solved by putting a new sock on it. As in the sock was clogged and the pump was fine.

As a test I drove it home today (with the bad pump) with the new sock on it 350 miles and had no problem keeping 75-80mph for almost 2 hours before I hit Ohio and had to slow down.

I did flush and clean the tank, no idea where all that crap came from, but it clogged the sock on the one replacement pump in a matter of minutes. I do still have to replace the fuel filter, though. It is a see through one and I can see dirt in it as well.

So the dud pump was not a dud after all. It still has to go back (or at least one of the 2 pumps does) to get my money back (warranty).

I had a 36 Ford 5-window coupe w. a 327 V8 Chevy engine awhile back that was my daily driver. I had humongeous problems with clogged fuel filters; couldn't drive 200 miles w/o changing them out (inline and in-carb). The crud in the filters was reddish mud looking crap. Flushed the tank a couple of times and it would help for a little while, but the crud always returned. Turned out my gas tank was rusting internally, maybe bad gas, maybe condensation, and the red crud was iron oxide. So I got a large round 5" speaker magnet and placed it on the outside of the tank near the fuel pickup point. Never had any more problems and never had to replace the tank. I still use magnets on my MJ tank. Don't know if this is your issue, but I would give it a try. :cheers:

This was like new tank, no rust anywhere inside or out. The crud is black, possibly very dark brown. There were a few larger pieces in the tank, 1/16" to 1/8" diameter and when I crushed them between my fingers it became a course paste. The sock was coated with the black "paste".

The sock on the new pump, which was in the tank for not quite a week after just had a little bit on it. The coated one was on before, and for only a few days, but I'm guessing it got coated within the first few minutes after I filled the tank. I did have a 1/2 block drive to the gas station that may have been fine. All I know is after I filled the tank and before I got home it had problems, which was in the span of <3 miles after the fill-up.

Whatever it was is gone now. Most of it in a bucket with some gas as well in my parents' garage in Canada.

I didn't mean to hijack the thread, I merely went off on a tangent while trying to post "If you are positive the pump has a problem it might very well just be a plugged sock."

no problem, sometimes the best information is off the main topic ;) Threw some HEET in to see if it just had water in it. Let it sit last night and started it up with no problems in revving or anything else that was happening before. Need to test drive it still. Ordered a new fuel filter just to be safe (only $6). I wonder if since the tank was empty when I parked it (went to Texas this past week LOVE THE WEATHER!) that the water vapor in the air condensed and just dumped a crap load of water into the remaining fuel... Will test drive it tomorrow. Thanks for the information.

JD