Windshield Washer Reservoir Upgrade

Ok, this might be the most unnecessary upgrade ever but what is involved in getting the Low Washer light to function in the MJ?

I found a windshield washer reservoir with the low fluid meter from a 1990 Cherokee in the JY. I attached the brown 2-wire plug to the top-mounted low fluid meter in the reservoir and installed the indicator bulb in the dash display with no success. Looking a little deeper I noticed that the 16-pin connecter plug that attaches to the back of the gauge cluster does not have the wire installed (in pin 15) for the Low Washer indicator.

What is the best way to get this to work?

Ok, this might be the most unnecessary upgrade ever but what is involved in getting the Low Washer light to function in the MJ?

I found a windshield washer reservoir with the low fluid meter from a 1990 Cherokee in the JY. I attached the brown 2-wire plug to the top-mounted low fluid meter in the reservoir and installed the indicator bulb in the dash display with no success. Looking a little deeper I noticed that the 16-pin connecter plug that attaches to the back of the gauge cluster does not have the wire installed (in pin 15) for the Low Washer indicator.

What is the best way to get this to work?

I don't think the low level indicator is unnessary at all 'cause I put the 97+ inside the fender well tank in mine. Can't just eyeball it. :D For me in worked fine after I plugged the harness connector in to the low level sensor and added the bulb to the cluster. But if your cluster is equipped for ABS, it's a different pinout on the cluster harness, and a different socket for the low level bulb. Also check out the float sensor at the low empty position to make sure you have continuity between the two contacts with an multimeter. Continuity is what turns on the indicator light.

I have an '89, so I don't think its equipd for ABS. I don't have any power at the float connection because the wire doesn't make it all the way back to the gauge cluster. The reservoir that I picked-up looks identical to the stock MJ except for the extra motor for the rear window washer on the bottom and the electrical conection for the float on the top.

You're not supossed to have power on the low level float switch. When the float is all the way down, the contacts close and a ground is sent to the cluster lamp. But if one side of the float switch doesn't make it to the lamp of course it won't work. Mine was all hardwired in. :hmm:

Oh, and my FSM shows the washer low level wire coming into the cluster on pin 1 of the cluster connector. This is for my 91 HO, but I think the connector pinouts are the same.