New radiator purchase? - MI

Has anyone use RadiatorClassic on Ebay to buy a new radiator? I am going to the open loop system and even with shipping, they are the cheapest. Since this truck is a DD, I will probably stick with a single core. Here is the number: Item number: 280297071988

WOW!!!!! :eek:

Something that cheap scares me... They do have a good feedback rating and if they are willing to back it up, then it may be worth a try, but I don't think I would do it myself.

I did the new style radiator conversion with a new 3 row radiator, and while the process of that was not at all difficult, the real PITA was finding a way to make the electric fan work with that new radiator. The newer style radiator has no place to put the switch for the electric fan and it took me 2-3 weeks of searching and bit bit of expense to come up with a solution that worked for me. Some people just put a manual switch inside and turn it on by hand, but I wanted it to work the way it was intended. I used a newer style t-stat housing with the hole for the ECM sensor in it and I put a switch in there and routed it through and adjustable thermostatic control that I mounted on the left inner fender.

You would be better off with one of these if you don't need a new radiator... It goes in place of the plastic tank and gives you the regular radiator cap thus creating the "open system" without all the other hassles :cheers:

I found it here... http://www.macsradiator.com/replacmentj ... tanks.aspx

The price scared me too. They are making some back up on shipping costs. I don't have an electric fan now so I'll concern myself with that later. I did see writeups using the new thermostat housing with a sensor in there. This same radiator is $120 locally and the seller does have good feedback. Weighing my options.

By the way, I do need to change the radiator regardless :(

What you save now with going "cheap" you'll spend later having to replace it again. I'd really recommend getting something that does not have the plastic end caps that crack. Going with an all metal version (CSF) that does away with the plastic ends. The CSF is decently priced ($205 shipped) and comes with a lifetime warranty. I know it's more now, but you'll thank yourself later!

:agree:

I have dealt with radiators with plastic tanks on my Geo and Suburban, and metal tanks (copper/bronze) on my F100 and Olds 98. Don't know off hand what my Comanche has without looking.

My experience with the plastic tanks is not good. I have had to replace the one in the Geo, and have had to replace the one in the Suburban twice. The one in my Oldsmobile has had some problem with a seam between the core and the tank, but that was easily fixed with some solder and a propane torch, and the one of the F*rd never gave me any trouble despite the abuse I put it through.

I once asked a radiator shop about fixing the one for the Suburban and the reply was "Not if it has plastic tanks". So I ended up paying $499 (that thing is HUGE) for a new one from Advance. Second one was free because of lifetime warranty.