Wheel spacers

EBAY!! i think you need 0.75"thk spacers. well i though someone told me that the 8.8 was 1.5" narrower than a d35... No worrys mate i need them too. i would also like to know who has been using what and how it has held up. :cheers:

:hijack: sorry

So if your looking for a wider stance, what do yall recommend for back spaceing? i have the stock TJ steelies in my avatar nut i want to go another inch or two wider.

Erik :beerhead:

Stock Jeep 15x7 rims are 5-1/4" backspacing. Running those rims with 31x10.50-15 tires, even mild wheeling leaves black rub marks where the inside top shoulder of the tires rubs the inside of the wheel well. That's with a stock MJ rear axle. The Exploder axle is even narrower. You need enough difference in backspacing to offset the amount the wheel mating surface is being moved in on each side, which IIRC is about an inch on each side. So that gets you to 4-1/4" backspacing, maximum, to get you back to having 31s rub when articulated. To do away with that, you need to move the wheels out even farther, so I think you're looking for a maximum backspacing of 4", and 3-1/2" would be better.

For the rear. Running less backspacing in the front eliminates rubbing on the lower control arms, but creates problems of the tires hitting the sheet metal. It's a compromise. For many of us, stock Jeep wheels with spacers like the ones in the photo above are the best solution. (Provided they are made from billet turnings, not castings.)

Just a couple things...

The 8.8 is 5/8" per side narrower. NOT a large amount...

Eagle, No offence, but spacers will do the same thing to the fenders as same amount less BS rims will... Juyst LIFT the fenders UP OUT of the way!!! :brows: :doh: :wavey: :shake: :D

Spacers are NOT D.O.T. leagle. There for, they are for OFFROAD USE ONLY.

CW

Just a couple things...

The 8.8 is 5/8" per side narrower. NOT a large amount...

Eagle, No offence, but spacers will do the same thing to the fenders as same amount less BS rims will... Juyst LIFT the fenders UP OUT of the way!!! :brows: :doh: :wavey: :shake: :D

Spacers are NOT D.O.T. leagle. There for, they are for OFFROAD USE ONLY.

CW

CW, if 31s on stock rims and a Jeep axle rub the inner wheel wells sometimes, moving the tires and wheels inboard by 5/8" on each side will remove ALL clearance. It's not "much," but in this case "not much" is "too much."

I realize the spacers do the same thing as less backspacing. But if you want matching rims, reduced backspacing on the rims also affects the front, in a negative way. Spacers get put on the rear only, so the front is unaffected.

Yeah, I know spacers aren't D.O.T. approved. Neither are the halogen headlights a lot of Jeepers (and other people) prefer, but that doesn't seem to stop people from buying and using them.

I have somewhat the same problem. I run stock 15x7 rims with 235/75 tires on a 4.5" lift. The set up is perfect for the front fenders as I can stuff the tires without rubbing issues, and with the after market lcas I don't rub them either when I max out the steering as I did with the stock ones.

But flex is limited by the upper rear tire being pushed against the inner fender.

I have run spacers on my Suburban for a few years now, including hauling up to 6,000 pounds of drywall and towing a 12,000 pound backhoe trailer carrying a Bobcat without ill effects. I realize the spacers aren't DOT approved, but I also realize my exhaust is not EPA approved and I doubt my suspension is DOT either.

So I'm getting spacers for the rear wheels as well. Somewhere in the 1"-1,5" range. I didn't speak up earlier because when I mentioned spacers before (a few months ago) a number of people jumped on my back over it and I didn't feel like stirring the pot again.

I have somewhat the same problem. I run stock 15x7 rims with 235/75 tires on a 4.5" lift. The set up is perfect for the front fenders as I can stuff the tires without rubbing issues, and with the after market lcas I don't rub them either when I max out the steering as I did with the stock ones.

Yep.

Ed Stevens over on the NAXJA forum has done extensive testing and shown hat even 31x10.50s on stock Jeep rims will stuff inside the sheet metal and flares in the front. As soon as you reduce backspacing, it creates interference problems up front when the suspension compresses, requiring trmimming and/or additional lift that would NOT be needed running OEM rims.