242 t-case

Here is a snip of some NP242 info that I have found in a Google search... It was easier than try to explain it myself ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Select Trac option on the Jeep Cherokee gets you the New Process NP 242 transfer case. This transfer case gives the following operating modes: 2wd, 4wd with the center differential open, 4wd with the center differential locked, neutral, and 4wd low range (center differential locked)

The addition of a center differential is the main difference between the NP 242 and the NP 231 or Command Trac transfer case. Without a differential, the 231 transfer case offers only part time four wheel drive mode.

The NP 242 transfer case Full time mode opens the center differential allowing the front and rear axles to rotate at different speeds while still being linked by the transfer case. The end with the least traction will get the most torque. While this mode may have some disadvantages off road where a wheel may loose contact with the ground, it has the advantage of being usable on all paved surfaces. Part Time mode - with the center differential locks can only be used on loose or slick surfaces with out possible damage to the transfer case.

The NP 242 transfer case can be switched between 2wd and either 4wd mode at any speed simply by moving the lever. The switch to low range must be made at very low speed - the Jeep manual says 3 mph.

One common operating problem with the 242 transfer case is that it will stick in 4wd even if the lever is moved to 2wd. Internally, moving the lever loads a spring which then applies force to move the selector fork. If the gears are loaded with torque, the spring will not have enough energy to move the sleeve off the gears. Once torque is removed from the gears, the spring will then move the fork and slide the sleeve of the gears.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a snip of some NP242 info that I have found in a Google search... It was easier than try to explain it myself ;)

The Select Trac option on the Jeep Cherokee gets you the New Process NP 242 transfer case. This transfer case gives the following operating modes: 2wd, 4wd with the center differential open, 4wd with the center differential locked, neutral, and 4wd low range (center differential locked)

The addition of a center differential is the main difference between the NP 242 and the NP 231 or Command Trac transfer case. Without a differential, the 231 transfer case offers only part time four wheel drive mode.

The NP 242 transfer case Full time mode opens the center differential allowing the front and rear axles to rotate at different speeds while still being linked by the transfer case. The end with the least traction will get the most torque. While this mode may have some disadvantages off road where a wheel may loose contact with the ground, it has the advantage of being usable on all paved surfaces. Part Time mode - with the center differential locks can only be used on loose or slick surfaces with out possible damage to the transfer case.

The NP 242 transfer case can be switched between 2wd and either 4wd mode at any speed simply by moving the lever. The switch to low range must be made at very low speed - the Jeep manual says 3 mph.

One common operating problem with the 242 transfer case is that it will stick in 4wd even if the lever is moved to 2wd. Internally, moving the lever loads a spring which then applies force to move the selector fork. If the gears are loaded with torque, the spring will not have enough energy to move the sleeve off the gears. Once torque is removed from the gears, the spring will then move the fork and slide the sleeve of the gears.

The truck was 2wd. It came out of the donor Cherokee. The problem I have is when lever is all the way forward what I think should be 2wd mode the light shows in part time 4wd. Rear driveshaft is not installed yet and in fulltime 4wd the front won't engage. I need to try and adjust it but bolt is jammed and maybe cross threaded at the linkage.

I couldn't tell if you're turning everything by hand or with the engine, but if the engine is turning everything, do NOT engage fulltime 4wd without a rear shaft installed. The t-case can't take that much differentiation.

I think the 242 shifting gate (the little framework that the shifter handle runs through as you pull back) is different from the 231 shifting gate. Did the 4wd shifter assembly come from that same donor XJ?

This is the adjustment procedure for the 231. I assume it should also work for the 242.