Please Help

87 Comanche with a 2.5L running very rough and spilling oil onto the top of the valve cover. After some run time it seems to settle down but is sparatic. It also smoke and sounds/smells like it is running rich and not breathing right. I washed out the engine a few times and also overfilled the oil :nuts: but since then I have given it an oil change and new spark plugs. Any ideas on what could be making it run so rough? Wet tps? Clogged hose? Blown gasket?

When you say "washed out the engine a few times"...what exactly do you mean by that? How did you "wash" it out??

From you description, it could be several things.

Are all the breather lines in place and in good shape?

Where is the oil coming from that is leaking?

Has anything else happened such as an overheat or high rev that could warp the head and blow the head gasket?

Can you take any pictures of the engine and trouble areas to show us?

Just some things to start with to try and narrow it down.

Thanks for all the help, I ended up figuring it out using your help the shop manual. I have a ccv system and the little tube comming off of the filter on the back of the valve cover was not hooked up to anything. I reconnected it to the intake manifold and am hoping that is where my oil was comming from. Without any vacuum to take the fumes and stuff out of there I figure it was just spraying out everywhere? Also, the MAP sensor vacuum line was disconnected and I had another bad vacuum line. I am using silicone as a temp fix but will need to eventually replace them all. Since hooking them all up again, it is running A LOT BETTER!!! :cheers: