How do I disassemble the steering column

I am having a devil of a time figuring out how to remove the housing around the steering column so that I can replace the ignition switch. Can anyone give me some help? I have removed the steering wheel, the key cylinder, turn signal arm, tilt mechanism and loosened the turn signal switch.

Thanks,

Bill

Here's a link to the down load pages..........

http://www.lunghd.com/Downloads_and_Links/Downloads.htm

And it's a pdf file, the 14th one down from the top, under Electrical - Ignition Switch & Lock Cylinder servicing -

'Save' it to your desk top, and then open it from there........if you have pdf.

It's like 12 pages long, it will give you a step by step to crack the steering column open and replace the ignition switch. But take note.......you should use a lock plate compressor to get to the switch.

Let's be sure what it is you need to replace. If it is the switch the column does not need to be disassembled. If it is the cylinder, it does.

Yes, I agree.........I read his question as try to get the column apart. The link I posted also shows the details on the ignition switch on the lower section of the column. :yes:

Thanks for all the replies. I deciphered what I could find of the documentation and other forums to learn the ignition switch was far down the column, but since I did need to replace the cylinder anyway, most of what I did was necessary. Unfortunately once I began reassembling, I found that I could not get the little spring clip back in place under the cylinder with any confidence it was in correctly. I also notice my locking steering wheel pin seems not to be springing back into place, so I probably lost a spring in there somewhere. I will read the documentation recommended and start again tomorrow.

Thanks Again,

Bill

I had to put it all back together right away so that I could move it before some guests arrived. I now have two new problems. The horn does not work, and the wheel lock rod is no longer engaging the plate. I think somehow in my messing with it, I stressed the spring too much and it does not force the rod forward any more. I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

Bill