How To Properly Mount a Aftermarket Radio

Anybody have some pictures of how their aftermarket CD player mounts? The PO has thrown an old tape deck in there and its mounted to the bezel and everytime I take the bezel off i have to drag the radio with it. I know there is a better way, but i don't see any mounting holes for a aftermarket bracket.. Any pics out there?

Thanks

No photos. It's been years since I did one, but I have mounted a Kenwood, a Pioneer and a Panasonic in various XJs and MJs. My recollection is that each came with a mounting sleeve/bracket that fit into the dash, and then the radio slid into the bracket. IIRC, two of the three fit with no alterations to the factory dash bezel, and one of them (the Kenwood?) required filing the opening about 1/16" on one side to allow it to fit over the radio faceplate.

Thats what i thought.. Ive put many a radios in 97+ XJs and Grand Cherokees but never in an older XJ/Mj and the mounting is bugging me. Looks like from searching i found there is some sort of "radio tray" that came in older MJs. I just want to see how its mounted.. I still don't see any holes in my dash for screws..

Use the factory bracket on the aftermarket radio. It may take a couple of tries to get it right but will look a lot better, you won't have to hack the bezel and you'll be able to take it off without removing the radio.

:cheers:

I used the radio traay that I purchased from Fiatslug87. It mounts on top of the aftermarket radio, and has two 'ears' that utilize the screw holes already in the dash. It fit my Kenwood well, and holds it a lot more securely then the sleeve that came with the radio.

On a side note, how do you like that VR3 radio?? I saw it at wally world and it caught my eye. :yes:

Best $10 JY radio I've bought. :D Son says it works ok. Has a lot of functionality for the money. I've read on the web some people have had problems with it, but none here (knock on wood). I had the remote and didn't know it. Pick it up out of a parking lot one day, sat around the house till I threw it away. One week later I found the radio in the JY. :shake:

Use the factory bracket on the aftermarket radio. It may take a couple of tries to get it right but will look a lot better, you won't have to hack the bezel and you'll be able to take it off without removing the radio.

How you like that radio? Thinkin bout gettin it