Heater Control Valves and Open rad System

I converted over from the closed radiator system to the open system last year. This change also effects the hearter control valve and hose routing. So you have to be a bit creative with what valve you put in place. I made the mistake of going with a plastic body valve. It self distructed this summer so I want to go back with a metal body valve this time. Anyone one else done this mod? What valve did you go with? Now that it has been some time I can't remember if it is a vac on/ closed valve or a vac off/ close valve.

James and Sugarfoot

88 4.0 4x4 Pioneer

Austin TX.

GO HORNS

In South Austin we have a saying about why we live here. It's "We're all here cause we're not all there."

Found part of my answer here. I guess it pays to look around. I still would like some others feed back from their experiance of changing from Closed to Open System.

Post subject: Re: Blower motorPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:26 pm

Comanche Addict

Location: Shiloh, NC And on a side note about the vacuum controlled valve on the heater hose.

When there is no vac to it, it defaults to always open, or flowing of coolant.

KEEP IT SIMPLE

"Back in Black"

1989 2wd 4.0L 5spd MJ Eliminator

1996 4wd 4.0L AW4 XJ Classic

<<<>>>

In the 1997 models and up the water control valve was eliminated entirely. I junked mine also and installed a set of 1997+ heater hoses, and plugged the vacuum line. I get better heat now, no ill effects from excess heat in the cabin in summer, and the constant flow thru the heater core adds a bit more coolant volume to the system. Junk the valve James. :cheers:

How timely.

I was working on the vacuum lines yesterday and the daymn plastic valve broke, spraying my left hand with 210 degree water. :fs1: Needless to say I spent the rest of the day inside with an ice pack.

today - I cut the valve out of the system...never to return.