How to read OBD 1 codes?

Yep, check engine light just came on (not the maint req'd light), only 58,000 miles, and runs perfectly.

The "check it for free" place only reads OBD II. Wasn't there some scheme about clicking

the key "x" times, and count long/short blinks, then go find a decipher code somewhere?

Wasn't there also some pins to jumper, once the fault is corrected, to reset the light?

Key cycle...

On - Off - On - Off - On and leave it.

The Check Engine light will begin to flash.

Flash, Flash ... short pause ... Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash = 24

...long pause...

Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash ... short pause ... Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash, Flash = 45

etc, etc...

When you get a 55 = end of cycle

Got it - thanks!

Code = 12 and code = 22.

From here: http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html

I get the following:

12 Battery or computer recently disconnected

22* Coolant sensor signal out of range - May have been disconnected to set timing

I recently had some things disconnected, so likely the source.

What I can't find is how to turn the light off.

Update: I've replaced the coolant temp sensor (based on code 22), I've cycled the key at least 50 times, and I've also

disconnected the battery. Still have the check engine light, and still have code 22. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Update: I've replaced the coolant temp sensor (based on code 22), I've cycled the key at least 50 times, and I've also disconnected the battery. Still have the check engine light, and still have code 22. Any ideas? Thanks!

Code 22 is "Coolant sensor or Circuit". It means the ECU is not seeing the correct voltage return from the sensor. This voltage varies because the sensor varies it's resistance as the coolant heats up and cools down. Check for continuity from the sensor plug back to the ECU, and check the connector itself. Sometimes the pin contacts get bent and/or corroded causing faulty resistance readings. Cycling the key 50 times does nothing for code 22, that's to clear code 12.