what's the difference??

is there any difference to a early-mid 90's 2.5L and my '86 2.5L?? i have a chance to buy a newer engine for $100. the owner wants to keep his manifolds, distributor, and acessories and brackets. so i'm thinking i can bolt my stuff on and go? :dunno:

this would get my Mj project off the ground while i do body work, and get a real game plan for it. at this point the truck is so new to me i'm not even sure what i really want the final product to be.

The 2.5L got fuel injection in 1986, one year before the introduction of the 4.0L. Both were Renix-based systems, but the 2.5L had throttle body injection rather than multi-port.

Chrysler redesigned the entire ignition/injection system for the 1991 model year, on both the 2.5L and the 4.0L. 1991 and newer 2.5L engines will have multi-port injection, they use a totally different computer and wiring setup, a different flywheel and CPS, and a different fuel pump (I think).

The multi-port 2.5 engines put out quite a bit more power than the TBI versions and if you're up to doing all the work to make the upgrade, IMHO it's worthwhile. But it'll be a LOT more work than finding a 90 or earlier 2.5L and dropping it in.

Oh -- he wants to keep the manifolds? Not good. I know the ports were raised in 1991 on the 4.0L and the shape of the ports was modified. I never checked, but I suspect the same is true for the 2.5L -- which would mean that you cannot bolt your manifolds on and go.