Should I make an offer, or leave it?

Mr_Random

I've been eyeing an MJ, and don't know anything about it other than what I can see driving by at 30mph.

Well, It's been sitting for a while now; I know it was driving probably two months ago, but the people seem to have shelved it since. It's growing spider webs now, and I want to make an offer before it starts to rot away (well, maybe not... this is AZ and nothing rusts...).

Anyways, details; White, long bed, 4wd, d44, 4.0, and well... not much else that I can see... I can't remember if there's a tow hitch, but I did notice it sits considerably higher in the rear and is completely stock. Could this mean it's the "big ton" or whatever version?

The paint and body look to be in perfect condition, so I think the best guess is that it has a blown B/A 10/5(?) tranny? Did the towing package even come with a five speed? If not engine/wiring problem I guess...

My parents want another XJ, but I REALLY LOVE MJ's, so this would be an awesome opportunity to get one... should I get more details and report back for more advice?

Side note:

There's also an MJ being used as a work truck, *tear*, that appears to be one of those RARE 100 custom ones... Some pool company has some sweaty fat guys (no offense!) driving around with pool chems and crap in the bed, should I find the phone number/address for the company so that a J-truck nut may be able to grab it from their sweaty, corrosive hands? I don't have the money to restore it if it IS one of the rare ones, but would like to see it saved either way...

thanks guys!

I would definitely check it out a little more and make an offer on it. You've got nothing to loose...all they can do is say no, but if you don't ask, you'll never know :cheers:

I found one in a parking lot a while back that had set there for over 3 weeks and left notes on it, but never got a call. I got the tag number from it and looked up the owners address through the DMV and sent him a letter trying to buy it. All that did was prompt him to get it moved to his house and park it (I drove by his house a couple times ;) ), but still no response to me about seeling it.

Yes...I'm an MJ stalker... :yes:

Side note:

There's also an MJ being used as a work truck, *tear*, that appears to be one of those RARE 100 custom ones... Some pool company has some sweaty fat guys (no offense!) driving around with pool chems and crap in the bed, should I find the phone number/address for the company so that a J-truck nut may be able to grab it from their sweaty, corrosive hands? I don't have the money to restore it if it IS one of the rare ones, but would like to see it saved either way...

thanks guys!

Were the '86 Customs THAT rare?? :dunno:

Well maybe I'm overreacting, but I was under the impression that MJ's with full body skirts and custom cowls and front clips were quite the rareness, because one company took 100 normal MJ's and custom made each one to be unique, then stamped the number X of 100 somewhere near the vin or something. But I thought it spanned more years than JUST 86? Maybe we're not on the same page, but the MJ I see driving around has only one badge on it (besides the tailgate saying jeep), and that is the 4.0 badge.

Anyways, when I gather the balls and can remember my spanish well enough (You can never be sure down here who will or won't speak english), I'll go ask about the thing. Like others have said, it sometimes just takes that random offer to make someone consider selling it (especially if they didn't know what to do with it in the first place).

Oh, and I'm an MJ stalker too, I go way out of my way just to drive by them... and get SO mad when they aren't where they normally are! Haha

Well maybe I'm overreacting, but I was under the impression that MJ's with full body skirts and custom cowls and front clips were quite the rareness, because one company took 100 normal MJ's and custom made each one to be unique, then stamped the number X of 100 somewhere near the vin or something. But I thought it spanned more years than JUST 86? Maybe we're not on the same page, but the MJ I see driving around has only one badge on it (besides the tailgate saying jeep), and that is the 4.0 badge.

Anyways, when I gather the balls and can remember my spanish well enough (You can never be sure down here who will or won't speak english), I'll go ask about the thing. Like others have said, it sometimes just takes that random offer to make someone consider selling it (especially if they didn't know what to do with it in the first place).

Oh, and I'm an MJ stalker too, I go way out of my way just to drive by them... and get SO mad when they aren't where they normally are! Haha

Ok, now that makes more sense... In '86 a trim level was called Comanche Custom, thats where I got confused

You said your in Az..

I am in Phx..

and Know how to say "Quanto?" very well..

Need to get something going here in the Phx area for MJ/XJ People.

I know my MJ would get "Ugliest Beast" but.. still cool to find people who share interests.

I know I didn't buy my truck for the beauty. I got it for functionality and the price was right. It's going to forever be a work in progress. Someone offered me 1500 the other day and I shook my head at them.. They said I could triple my money. Didn't even think about it.

you could tell it had a D44 at 30 mph. Kinda impressive really

Well... actually I bet I can, but I slowed down once or twice enough to get some honks and even flipped off, just to check. Remember me from NAXJA? Yeah I'm crazy...

Yuma, crossroads to every large city in the southwest...

Well, I'm actually considering a fairly beat up MJ that I KNOW is for sale, then possibly finding a newer XJ at the salvage yard and swapping everything over. With 2k I bet I could get a great MJ out of it.

"De quanto cuesta el comanche?" "Estoy interestado en comprando usted comanche"

Or something like that, I'm sure my grammar is off, but It mostly works.

Okay... I guess I should consider my options!