3 dollar home made battery charger..

jtdesigns

http://www.alpharubicon.com/elect/3dollarbattggn.htm

Sounds interesting.. Where you at Mr. Electrical Engineer Hornbrod???

NE 1 ever build a bridge rectifier out of diodes ? I have a old cooling fan I want to use in my tool shed to exhaust fumes.. I'm thinking it needs around 10-15 Amps.. I want to build a dedicated power supply.. Think a PC's power supply will push enough current to make the fan run good??

NE 1 ever build a bridge rectifier out of diodes ? I have a old cooling fan I want to use in my tool shed to exhaust fumes.. I'm thinking it needs around 10-15 Amps.. I want to build a dedicated power supply.. Think a PC's power supply will push enough current to make the fan run good??

That's ancient technolgy JT. :D We used portable regulated bulb ballast power supplies for starting torpedo motors way back when whan I was on subs in the USN. The $3 p/s you linked to sends unregulated pulsed DC to the battery and can quickly boil off the electrolyte if not monitored (or the house fuse doesn't blow first). Too risky for me matey.

As far as running a 12VDC fan on a dedicated power supply, very doable. You are correct the fan will probably draw 12-15 amps while running, but the startup amp draw can go over 20A in most fans. You could use the 12V output of a PC power supply, but you really don't want it running over 75% it's capacity for long periods. So you would need at least a 500W PS to run the fan load w. no worries. :cheers:

That's ancient technolgy JT. :D We used portable regulated bulb ballast power supplies for starting torpedo motors way back when whan I was on subs in the USN. The $3 p/s you linked to sends unregulated pulsed DC to the battery and can quickly boil off the electrolyte if not monitored (or the house fuse doesn't blow first). Too risky for me matey.

As far as running a 12VDC fan on a dedicated power supply, very doable. You are correct the fan will probably draw 12-15 amps while running, but the startup amp draw can go over 20A in most fans. You could use the 12V output of a PC power supply, but you really don't want it running over 75% it's capacity for long periods. So you would need at least a 500W PS to run the fan load w. no worries. :cheers:

Thanks D-man. I think Ill go dumpster diving for a tossed desktop and rob it of its organs.... :brows: