properly seal rusty windsheild frame

my windsheild cracked and removed.(was leaking before anyway) there was a bit of rust so i wired brushed it and had someone replace the windsheild. the made the leak worse and now its probably still rusting :headpop: . i used por 15'a seam sealer (cause i couldnt find a caulk that works) to seal it for now.

so... I'm going to take it out and have a pro do it. but i wanted to know if i used a rust sealer like por-15 or eastwoods rust stuff to seal the rust, that they could still get a good seal on the windsheild. i heard they use a special primer and it needs to be on bare metal.

any info would be awsome!

This was the exact causr of my floor rust...not only from rust at the seal of the windshield, but also at the seal of the rear slider.

The answer is that you have to get all of the rust either sanded or converted or it will return. It cannot be sealed as rust by any amount of silicone, sealant, etc.

Going to a pro was not a bad idea considering the importance of a rust-free seal around the windows. Good luck in your campaign against rust. Sometimes I feel that the Comanche Club is a secondary support website for MJ cancer (rust) victims!

:beerhead:

Paul

• 3 weeks later...