Need help with a shaking vibration problem?????

JohnQ

I recently replaced my axles about 1000 miles ago. I put a front axel out of a 97 wrangler and a dana 44 in the rear out of my 89 MJ. I have had zero issues until last week. My truck drives fine until I get around 55mph and then it starts to shake. I thought I had a tire out of balance so I had them rebalanced this past weekend with zero improvement. I can't find anything loose or broken.

Any ideas??

When you had them balanced did they mention if the wheels were perfectly straight or the tires out of round?

I guess you could check it yourself by jacking up the truck one corner at a time and have someone spin them as fast as possible while you watch.

I had similar problems and it ended up being two wheels were bent.

Or also did you try and rotate the wheels to differnt locations to see if it made a differnce in vibrations at all?

shake starting at 55 MPH is almost always tire balance. I don't know why that's the magic speed, but that has been the case since I first started playing with cars, and that was over 50 years ago.

Just because you paid some shop to balance your tires doesn't mean they are balanced. It just means they took your money and slapped some weights on the rims. Try rotating the front tires to the rear and the rears to the front and see what happens.

I had rotated them and I get the same results. I have had these wheels and tires for a long time. I can't figure out why they would be bad all of a sudden. I'm going to try a different set of wheels and tires I have and see if there is any difference. Or I might try swapping one wheel at a time with my spare and see if I can find the bad one. Hopefully it is only one.

Could be one cylinder is not fireing or low on compression causing engine vibration. Feel tires for bumps or lumps from belt separation.U-joints, driveshaft, bad shock, lots of things cause vibration although drive shaft will often vibe when slowing down. Mud can unevenly stick to wheels. wheel bearings?