Finally Got a Clutch Kit (or The Gauntlet)

jage

Well as you can read in "FedEx Horror Stories" I've had mighty woes trying to get FedEx to bring my Autozone clutch kit to my door. They finally said it was probably missing so I should go ahead and get it somewhere else.

I called NAPA yesterday and they said they'd have it at 8 am today. This morning I dropped by to pick it up. Just to be sure I pop open the box, and guess what? Someone has cut into the packaging and pilfered the pilot bearing. The guy offered to give me a little discount on the clutch kit (less than the cost of the bearing) and let me buy the pilot bearing separate, but at that point I just wanted a complete new kit and I didn't want to get screwed out of any money to put a part back into a kit that it should have come in.

So he calls another store and I hear him ask, "Is it unopened?" "Are you sure it's unopened?"

Tells me it will be there around 2pm, they'll call me. They don't call of course so I headed back out there and sure enough we open the new box and - already been installed once. Yup. There is grease smeared all over it, random dirt, the whole thing is nasty and the grease seals are broken. Oh it's all there, but it's not pretty.

He says, "Well the other one looked way better than this." as he grabs the pilot bearing and throws it in the original clutch box.

I pull out the bearing, and of course, it's already been installed and removed too. I'm like, "So you think this is enough grease?" He says "Yeah, of course..." as he starts to poke around the pins with his finger.

Then I don't know if he just was sick of me, gave up on the whole thing, or felt sorry for me, but he pulled a new pilot bearing and threw that in the box instead. So finally I could walk out of there with a new clutch kit, complete with all new pieces for only the price on the shelf plus tax, which is $40 more than the Autozone clutch I ordered 13 days ago.

What a total nightmare!

Someone please tell me it's going to go in like butter and it will all be worth it!

you gotta be kidding us, right???? :roll:

Ther'd be one NAPA store crossed off my list, right there....

But, look at the good side of things.....you got all of the BS out of the way up front, so the install's gonna go off without a hitch :cheers:

unless you didn't pick up an E12 socket for the upper bellhousing bolts

I'll have one, two...well, maybe several in your honor tonight (actually now). I'll offer them up as pledges to the Jeep Gods, that NOTHING else goes wrong for you :D