Replacing Shoulder/Lap Belt Assembly

Anyone done it in an MJ? I acquired some new ones and and I'm curious if you have to pull out the plastic "B" pillar trim piece, or can you do it by just pulling the rectangular cover behind which the belt take-up reel lives? If so, how does the cover come off?

You have to take off the large B pillar trim to get to the take up reel.

Take off the top seat belt support/holder for the shoulder belt, the interior light below that, and the plastic plug below the light, for the one screw holding the top of the trim piece.

There are 3 speed nuts holding the trim to the back wall of the cab (behind the carpet pad if you have) and the B pillar should slip out.

The you take the small filler plate out where the belt goes thru, and slip the upper shoulder belt support, and the lower belt section thru the slot.

Then you can remove the B pillar trim piece out of the cab.

There are 2 torx screws holding the take up reel on the side of the B pillar.

Sounds easy.......don't it :D

Off the top of my head......I'm thinking you need a #50 torx for all the screws.

Yeah, does sound easy Bob. But If you ain't done it before, the first time's never easy. :D Know what I mean Vern? Was hoping I didn't have to remove the trim piece as my FSM made no mention of it, but just by eyeballing it looked like there was no way w/o doing it. Thanks again. :cheers:

Yes, it is a torx #50 for the seat belt bolts. It could be worse don, you could have to remove all the trim. I just had to do that to put new 97+ whether stripping in. 1.5 hrs of removing trim for a 3 min job. :roll:

Yeah, did that annoying job on the drivers side, but was well worth it. Seals like a coffin. :eek:

What worst, is dealing with the lower seat belt bolts in the rust belt. And ya wonder why I buy 4 #50 torx socket at a time.

Pretty sure I have a #50 torx around here somewhere that's not AFU. Thanks guys. :cheers: