Project: Bigger than I planned MJ

Figured I should start a thread of the entire project as I have no threads going to post the progress of the truck.

It all started with this:

1991 SWB 2wd Comanche 4.0L 5spd

P/O started the swap to 4wd

Plans were to lift 3" and run 31s as it is a daily driver.

Ended up with this

SOA rear, 6.5" front and 32s

Parts include RE adjustable UCAs and LCAs, RE 4.5" coils w/ 2"spacers, RE swaybar discos, RE adjustable track bar, OME steering stabilizer, and Superlift shocks. Rear axle is an 8.8 Explorer SOA with 2wd leafs. Tires are 32x11.5 R15 Cooper STTs on white 8 spoke 15x8 rims.

Just swapped in some grey leather buckets from a Cherokee Limited.

Near future plans are a custom front winch bumper with a Warn 8274. I had to build some temporary tow points for now until bumper is ready:

This weekend will be her maiden voyage to the mountains. I will post some pics when we get back.

Didn't get much for action shots, but we did baptize it as a new offroader in the mud :D

There were 2 CJs (one on 36" IROKS and one on 37" boggers) with me on this run and it's a good thing they had winches because we all needed them.

Also got a character mark as well on the upper left rear corner of the box when I slid into a tree while bypassing on of the mudholes we had to get by.

That's a pretty cool idea for the tow points. How are they attached to the uniframe?

Willy

I used 1/4" plates at the bumper attachments and 2.5" x 1/4" angle between. I plasma cut the holes for the lugs and welded them on the back side.

You may want to consider running that further back to the large holes on each side. Like this:

The bumper attachment points are not really intended for tow points. It's just sheet metal that will rip apart fairly easily.

Willy

That's a pretty cool idea for the tow points. How are they attached to the uniframe?

Willy

I used 1/4" plates at the bumper attachments and 2.5" x 1/4" angle between. I plasma cut the holes for the lugs and welded them on the back side.

You may want to consider running that further back to the large holes on each side. The bumper attachment points are not really intended for tow points. It's just sheet metal that will rip apart fairly easily.

Willy

I had put that into consideration when I did it. As it was only for temporary use until the real bumper is built that will use the mentioned holes, I figured it would be fine for a weekend. As it turned out, we had to winch the Manche out of the mud using a snatchblock with a Warn 8274 and it held, but I would recommend using the mentioned holes to those who try the same thing.