Quarter Sized Rust Hole in Rocker...

Well my XJ finally gave in to 20 years of Michigan Hell. I punched a tiny hole in my drivers side rocker, right in front of the rear flare. The actual rot is about the size of a quarter and by the looks of it, can easily be punched out.

My rockers are solid as hell except for the one little spot. I really don't want to trash the whole rocker because of something that minor. I don't have welders, plasma torches, etc, I just want to clean the area, patch it somehow, and cover it with white paint.

Thanks for any ideas.

Well my XJ finally gave in to 20 years of Michigan Hell. I punched a tiny hole in my drivers side rocker, right in front of the rear flare. The actual rot is about the size of a quarter and by the looks of it, can easily be punched out.

My question is, how can I fix this? Ive been searching and all that comes up is replacement sliders, etc, and my rockers are solid as hell except for the one little spot. I really don't want to trash the whole rocker because of something that minor. I don't have welders, plasma torches, etc, I just want to clean the area, patch it somehow, and cover it with white paint.

Thanks for any ideas.

one small spot means more than one small spot, unless you're very, very good at preventative maintenance.

check it over. if it's really the only spot, go get some rust-proofing spray (in a spray can) and spray the sh*t out of it, especially inside the rocker.

then, a fix you'd be able to handle would simply be picking up some fiberglass and resin. it wouldn't be too hard, except for the angle you'd be glassing at.

don't use bondo except to smooth, and especially don't stuff it with chicken wire :roll:

i know we used to do this. On a hot hot hot day No moisture. Spray foam insulation in there Then fiber glass over it , sand it down. then shoot it with some spray paint jamminz.gif

Wouldnt that foam just suck up any water and accelerate the rust? :???:

i know we used to do this. On a hot hot hot day No moisture. Spray foam insulation in there Then fiber glass over it , sand it down. then shoot it with some spray paint jamminz.gif

Wouldnt that foam just suck up any water and accelerate the rust? :???:

yes, it would.

DON'T do this method. if you're pushing the car down the road or intend for it to scrap itself (rust) within the next year, feel free.

I've had two comanches come in with this method, and the bottom half of the CAB was gone only a year or so after having been "repaired"