biggest tire on a stock mj

First, it's important to consider not only tires, but rims. Stock Jeep rims have 5-1/4" backspacing. There are NO aftermarket rims with that backspacing.

The largest tire that fits a stock XJ or MJ on OEM Jeep rims with no rubbing is 235/75R15. Put those tires on rims with less backspacing and they may rub the flares when the suspension compresses.

On OEM Jeep rims you can run 30x9.50s and even 31x10.50s. They will -- on stock OEM Jeep rims -- tuck inside the flares and fenders when the suspension compresses. They will, however, rub slightly on the lower control arms. However, they will still rub on the lower control arms even if you run 4 inches of lift.

Switching to rims with less backspacing will solve the problem of rubbing the lower control arms -- but then you have the problem of the tire crashing into the flares and sheet metal when the suspension compresses.

IMHO the optimum tire size for an UNlifted MJ is 30x9.50. I have run mine with the 31s after I took out the lift and it was okay, but it just didn't look right. The tires looked like they had been stuffed in there.

First, it's important to consider not only tires, but rims. Stock Jeep rims have 5-1/4" backspacing. There are NO aftermarket rims with that backspacing.

The largest tire that fits a stock XJ or MJ on OEM Jeep rims with no rubbing is 235/75R15. Put those tires on rims with less backspacing and they may rub the flares when the suspension compresses.

On OEM Jeep rims you can run 30x9.50s and even 31x10.50s. They will -- on stock OEM Jeep rims -- tuck inside the flares and fenders when the suspension compresses. They will, however, rub slightly on the lower control arms. However, they will still rub on the lower control arms even if you run 4 inches of lift.

Switching to rims with less backspacing will solve the problem of rubbing the lower control arms -- but then you have the problem of the tire crashing into the flares and sheet metal when the suspension compresses.

IMHO the optimum tire size for an UNlifted MJ is 30x9.50. I have run mine with the 31s after I took out the lift and it was okay, but it just didn't look right. The tires looked like they had been stuffed in there.

well I'm running a 235/75r15 tire now. it seems like i have like 4 inches or more.

example : http://tinyurl.com/6r3c6s

and a cherokee lift will work on an mj right? i just found one on craigslist for 125.00 bucks 8)

and about the rims. id probably keeps the rims i have now. for money reasons.

I didn't get to do much in them (since I never do much with the 86 any more), but for a while I had the 29x10.5s on aftermarket 15x8 rims on the 4x4 86. No rubbing that I remember. They are about the same as a 30" tire (super swampers tend to run true, where as other manufactures run small). They used to be my sister's TJ and when it was turned in I had to put them somewhere. :D

Personally I would have preferred a set of Jeep TJ 15x8 rims. The extra inch of width pulls the tire out away fro the control arms slightly.

well I'm running a 235/75r15 tire now. it seems like i have like 4 inches or more.

and a cherokee lift will work on an mj right? i just found one on craigslist for 125.00 bucks 8)

The Jeep rims in the photo you linked are 15x6 -- the only factory XJ/MJ rim that wasn't 15x7 (or 16x7 for a couple of the last years of the XJ). The 31" tires you seem to be looking at are 31x11.5 -- that's too wide for 6" rims. The only way you'll ever be able to keep the tread flat on the pavement is to run the pressure so low it'll be unsafe.

The rule of thumb is that tire width should not exceed rim width by more than 4 inches. 6-inch rims ==> maximum tire width 10". You can cheat on that by a bit for dedicated off-road tires that stay aired down and run at low speeds, but for a daily driver tire you need to be sure you get even tread wear at a pressure that's high enough to prevent overheating the rubber. For those rims I would suggest that you either stay with 235/75s or look at 30x9.50s. Interco doesn't offer a 30x9.50 in the tire you have in mind, so I guess your best choice in that tire would be the 29x10.50.

The Jeep rims in the photo you linked are 15x6 -- the only factory XJ/MJ rim that wasn't 15x7 (or 16x7 for a couple of the last years of the XJ). The 31" tires you seem to be looking at are 31x11.5 -- that's too wide for 6" rims. The only way you'll ever be able to keep the tread flat on the pavement is to run the pressure so low it'll be unsafe.

The rule of thumb is that tire width should not exceed rim width by more than 4 inches. 6-inch rims ==> maximum tire width 10". You can cheat on that by a bit for dedicated off-road tires that stay aired down and run at low speeds, but for a daily driver tire you need to be sure you get even tread wear at a pressure that's high enough to prevent overheating the rubber. For those rims I would suggest that you either stay with 235/75s or look at 30x9.50s. Interco doesn't offer a 30x9.50 in the tire you have in mind, so I guess your best choice in that tire would be the 29x10.50.

but will 30x9.50 fit on my truck stock, thats all I'm worried about, buying the tires and having them not fit.

but i guess I'm gonna order the 29x10.50.

thanks.

Yes, 30x9.5 will fit. Although some individuals have experience a small amount of rubbing on the lower control arms when at full lock (and sometimes only at full lock and going backwards). The 15x6" rims may exacerbate this. I wouldn't even recommend the 29x10.5s on the 15x6" rims. Too much difference in widths Look for some 15x7 stock rims at least. 15x8 would be best. And I would look for a used tires/rims combo before considering new. There are plenty of good deals out there. Heck, I sold the tires/rims you see below on the 86 for like 400 and the only had a couple thousand miles on them. craigslist.org is your friend. :D I picked up a set of decent Jeep 15x7 steelies last year for like $40.

This is my 88 on 30x9.5" BFG ATs on 15x7 Jeep rims. I experienced no rubbing.

Yes, 30x9.5 will fit. Although some individuals have experience a small amount of rubbing on the lower control arms when at full lock (and sometimes only at full lock and going backwards). The 15x6" rims may exacerbate this. I wouldn't even recommend the 29x10.5s on the 15x6" rims. Too much difference in widths Look for some 15x7 stock rims at least. 15x8 would be best. And I would look for a used tires/rims combo before considering new. There are plenty of good deals out there. Heck, I sold the tires/rims you see below on the 86 for like 400 and the only had a couple thousand miles on them. craigslist.org is your friend. :D I picked up a set of decent Jeep 15x7 steelies last year for like $40.

This is my 88 on 30x9.5" BFG ATs on 15x7 Jeep rims. I experienced no rubbing.

after 5 minutes of searching i found these

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/pts/759797639.html

think they would work? i love the price :eek:

By my calculations that comes to a 30x10.5" tire. I think it'd work just fine. The worst that happens is some mild rub on the control arms, but that can be fixed with a washer under the steering stop. If you ask nicely, the guy may even let you bolt one up to the front of your truck to check fitment.

If you ask nicely, the guy may even let you bolt one up to the front of your truck to check fitment.

i was thinking the same thing

alright cool, I'm gonna call the guy now.

after this drive to miami I'm not gonna have enough cash for tires at this moment, so it will be a couple weeks but ill get pictures asap when i get these rims and tires.