broken stud in head

Woring on a 4.0 rebuild (on a stand, not in the vehicle). The front exhaust manifold stud was snapped off inside the head, and I tried to drill it out. Things were going along well until I snapped the tip of a 1/8" bit off deep inside the stud, and I can't get the piece out. I've got the stud mostly drilled out, about 1/2" deep into the head, but can't get any furthur than the piece of broken drill bit. Any ideas beside pulling the head and taking it to a shop (or replacing it)?

TIA,

Jeff

You need to "chip" the bit out. You say its 1/8" in diameter, or 1/8" deep?

In either event, get a small punch and hammer and you should be able to crack the tip of the bit out of the hole. Blow it out with air. As long as you can get to it!!

There was a time when I was mounting a lot of scope bases on military rifles. There receivers where WAY, WAY hard and breaking bits and taps was quite common. These where #6 and # 8 screws! Pretty small stuff. I got pretty good at chipping them out as I just suggested. Wear eye protection and work at it you will get it!!

CW

it's a 1/8" bit, and the tip (about 3/16") snapped off deep inside the middle of the stud. I'm gonna go work on it some more with a set of small punches and see if I can break it up any.

Jeff

Negative……broke one punch and bent another one. I’m probably gonna pull the head and let my neighbor take it into work. His shop can drill the rest of it out and retap the hole

Image Not Found

Did manage to replace all the freeze plugs, though. It wasn’t a totally wasted day :D

Image Not Found

it was snapped off inside the head.....neither of us noticed it when I picked it up :oops:

No worries, I'll just add a head gasket and VC gasket to the parts list....

Jeff