Trimming the fenders.

So I want to trim my front fenders level with the bottom of the headlights like most people do. I want to do this simply for the fact it is the only place the tires rub right now. It looks like a pretty straight foreward job but I wanted to ask if the are any tricks or suprizes I should know about. I really hate cutting into the sheet metal but I hate changing a tire on the trail more. So any tips would be appreciated. :chillin:

Lay tape down first so you don't chip the paint. You than can draw a straight line on top of the tape to use as a reference for your cut to keep it straight.

We've always use a dremel with a hd cuttoff wheel to make that small cut with good results.

Jerry and used a sawzall (18 or 24 TPI bi-metal blade, I can't remember right now) and cleaned up the roughness with a flap disc.....took about 10 minutes, and 8 of that was trying to draw a straight line on the fender to cut by ;)

We cut a bit low of the line, then finished up to it with the flapper. One tip, if you do use a flap disc, it will heat up the flare and melt it if you leave it in one place too long.

Jeff

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

So it looks like nothin' to it but to do it. Thanks for the input. Since it is the only thing I have to cut with right now I will be using a hand held grinder but I don't think that will make much difference. :dunno:

Wear good eye protection, regardless of what you use :cheers:

The flares are held on by metal strips sandwiched between them and the fender (with studs that go thru the fender). If you cut with the flares still attached, you'll feel the metal strips when you get to them. Just keep everything level and take your time.

Jeff