Track Bar Question

Don,

What is the overall length you need? This may be another option that includes a heavy duty mount and bushing ends on both ends. I'd have to measure it but it may work...

motionhdtrackbar.jpg

motionhdtrackbar_1.jpg

That looks like the RE HD bar and if so will be waaaaay too many $$ mate. :cheers:

That looks like the RE HD bar and if so will be waaaaay too many $$ mate. :cheers:

Not the RE HD (RE1660) bar. That bar won't work in your application anyways. The RE bar has a larger superflex joint on the end, and the bracket itself is larger (and designed different), as well as the diameter of the tubing used for the bar itself..

re_xjhdtracbarkit.jpg

motionhdtrackbar.jpg

motionhdtrackbar_1.jpg

This looks very much like an adjustable version of a factory Jeep WJ bar. Very nice!! This all but totally eliminates droop binding issues!!! At the same time much better isolation with bushings at both ends!! Is one poly and one rubber?

Likely more than you need Don. But a VERY nice upgrade!! What better time to UPGRADE, I mean you already NEED a track bar.... :roll: :roll: Go for it man!!

CW

Not the RE HD (RE1660) bar. That bar won't work in your application anyways. The RE bar has a larger superflex joint on the end, and the bracket itself is larger (and designed different), as well as the diameter of the tubing used for the bar itself..

re_xjhdtracbarkit.jpg

I like it. How long is it and what's the total adjustment? Who makes it? But the BIG question is: How Much? (Adam, you can shoot me a PM back-channel if you like so I can have my coronary w/o disturbing the guys on the forum. :D )

I'm going to disagree with those who claim that the track bar is subject to such high stress that you can't use bushings, or you can't use sleeves, or you shouldn't use TREs. Yet y'all run drag links with TREs AND sleeves, and don't even think about it.

Have I ever seen a track bar fail? No. I heard of one failing -- one of Rusty's, that had the threaded insert pull out of the tube at the TRE end. The insert was re-welded and all was good to go.

The most serious steering failure I've encountered on a trail was on a winter ride with the club I used to belong to. One of the guys ran a ZJ with a pretty tall lift and 33s. There was a rock garden under the snow. I guess he got a wheel caught, and he ripped the steering box off the frame. Literally.

No damage to the track bar. No damage to the drag link. But enough stress to break one mounting ear off the box and pull two other bolts through the "frame" (unibody) rail. All that stress was transmitted from the stuck wheel to the steering box through the drag link, with its adjusting sleeve.

And now you want me to accept that a sleeve exactly like that isn't strong enough for the track bar in a street vehicle?

BTW -- I like that bar Motion is suggesting. Looks very nice, if it adjusts short enough to work at stock heights. I guess Hornbrod has some lift, but I don't. The only adjustable short enough to work at stock height is Rusty's, and the bend in his is wrong -- it's an intereference fit with the front diff cover.

I like it. How long is it and what's the total adjustment? Who makes it? But the BIG question is: How Much? (Adam, you can shoot me a PM back-channel if you like so I can have my coronary w/o disturbing the guys on the forum. :D )

PM sent. :cheers:

Actually that's not too bad at all w. the HD bracket. Better deal than most I've looked at. :D But what about my other questions? Might be overkill for me, but I'm sure some of the members would like to know. Also what's bushing material, any drop on the frame end or same geometry, and cntr-to=cntr length when adjusted at it's shortest and safe longest (lift range)? It's beefy, I like the design, and like CW says, should have zero binding problems. Have you run this one personally Adam?

The mounting bracket is 3/16 inch.

Mount drops frame end about 1/4 - 1/2 inch.

Tube is constructed with beefy 1.25 inch OD x .25 inch wall DOM tubing (basically the same as our steering kits, just DOM). Strong yield strength at 53,000 lbs. per square inch.

Polyurethane (prothane brand) bushings both ends.

Rod end is 7/8 inch shaft.

Should work with 2-5 inch of lift.

Comes powder-coated black (both bracket and bar).

Been tested on a MJ with our 3" lift with good results. Have not trail tested it hard yet though as we've been to busy. 1st batch should be at the powder-coater in about a week. Depending on the feedback we may swap out our heim trackbar with these in our 3" and 4.5" lift kits, or let customer decide if they want to upgrade to this one (not sure yet what our plans are).

I'm going to disagree with those who claim that the track bar is subject to such high stress that you can't use bushings, or you can't use sleeves, or you shouldn't use TREs. Yet y'all run drag links with TREs AND sleeves, and don't even think about it.

This is one reason why I don't like TREs on track bars.

Even though this is my drag link, if I still had a track bar with a TRE it would have been subject to the same stresses from the suspension travel. I will admit that I was not nice to this TRE. :D

Willy

I stopped at a local 4X4 shop yesterday and picked up a brand new TeraFlex adjustable trackbar for $70 + tax, so I just had to buy it. :D Got it on today and it's great! It adjusted out the axle off-center nicely and the whole front end feels tighter and more responsive, especially when going over bumps. Should have done this long ago. Only trouble was beating the old track bar out w. the BFH and pickle fork. I missed on a mighty swing and smashed the crap out of my left index finger joint and broke my watch too. :headpop: But it'll heal eventually. Time for some pain meds....... :cheers: