5 spd to auto ??

just typing out loud here , - but here's what i would like: when i bought my mj i was hoping to get an auto and werent any around so got the 5 spd. was just musing w/my parts guy and wondered if it would be easy to change it to auto with a full time t-case? the system like that was a pleasure to have in my xj ltd when i got this mj there was no front shaft in it and now i am wondering if there was more to the story than -"my uncle lent the shaft to a buddy" if i have to change t-case anyway maybe i can shove a auto/full-time setup into it. any help greatly appreciated.

Is there something you don't like about having the 5 speed? Usually the swap goes the other way around :nuts:

You can put a full time (np242) case behind your manual. It'd be a lot easier, since the swap to auto is possible, but it's not the easiest thing to do.

About the missing shaft...are you thinking someone was bumming around on dry pavement in 4wd and broke something?

yes i now think its possible that the t-case is hooped. i have two comanche 4x4 parts trucks available but I'm not a mechanic. i've been driving this one 4 a month or so with no front shaft and its been great but laast night i had to really jam the shaft in (it seemed like a very tight fit - and it came off a wagoneer xj-should be the same - right.-i took it 4 a small spin in lot next door -semed like everything was binding. going out side in a bit to re n re the thing and try again. ---and yes -autos work better 4 my driving style hereand its what i wanted and the full-time was a treat to have in the ltd.----------on a side note -i can't get those little rubber keepers for the linkage from napa ---and the pld ones won't keep linkage together.

The shaft would be the same...if the motor and trans was the same. Since the auto is slightly longer than the manual, it sits back farther, and so the shaft would be longer. The 4.0 shafts are also longer than the 2.5/2.8 ones, because the trans sits back farther.

ya thanx -corry - the wagoneer was an auto -do u think that means that the shaft is too long 4 the 5spd set -up ?

Definitly could be the problem. Also, if it's been sitting awhile, the silp joint can freeze up on the shaft and be very stubborn to break loose.

this is somewhat related to my other tech post. I'm still wondering what would b involved in putting the auto (like from the '92 ltd) into the truck? it always worked great and already has the full time t-case on it. -- i bought that cupholder 4 a reason -lol.

Is there something you don't like about having the 5 speed? Usually the swap goes the other way around :nuts:

I've give up my 5 Speed in a Second for an Auto if it were an EASY and FREE swap...

:nuts: :nuts:

I'm sure there's someone out there that woulf gladly trade you an AW4 for your Ax-15.

I've give up my 5 Speed in a Second for an Auto if it were an EASY and FREE swap...

:nuts: :nuts:

I'm sure there's someone out there that woulf gladly trade you an AW4 for your Ax-15.

Had my MJ not had a Dana 44 in the back, I would have walked away because I really only wanted an Auto...

I think I can get an AW4 from an XJ for basically next to nothing...when I do my Engine Swap, it might get a new tranny at the same time if I'm feeling up to the challenge...