AX15 Rebuild

Well fellas, here it goes.

I am getting a free AX15 this weekend out of a 94 YJ. Previous owner tells me it works, but has slop in it. This tranny has the external slave, correct?

Hopefully I can rebuild her to be put in my MJ. What else is needed in the general tranny area?

Here is what I have:

1990 MJ 4.0, 2WD AX15

I am assuming I can rebuild this 94 YJ AX15 to be put in the MJ with no problems?

I have a ton of writeup info on the rebuild, as well as the 94 YJ Jeep Service manual.

After reading on all the problems of what fluid to run, I have settled on Redline MT-90 after it is ready to go back in.

The current plan is to keep it 2WD for a while, until I have all my parts lined up. I have the 4WD shifter and linkage out of a 98 TJ. Will that work in the MJ without too much modification? I also have an 8.8 and the spring perches that I plan to do SOA on when the time comes. Plan on a HP 30 for the front.

Anyone rebuilt an AX15? I work at 4WD Hardware, so I have access to any of the internals that might need replaced, as well as some tech guys here that know a thing or two.

94 is iffy on the external slave. If I remember right, the transition was something around midyear 94 for the XJ, not sure if the YJ follows suit.

The YJ trans is a bit different than the XJ trans. The YJ trans clocks (rotates) the t-case up a small amount. It results in a tight fit between the t-case and the floorboards (but more ground clearance :brows: ). I have a TJ trans in my 88 and it's close, but I haven't had any contact yet.

Unfortunately I had the t-case shifter linkage from an 86 MJ and the 99 TJ on hand during the swap and am not certain specifically which parts I used. I thin it was half and half. :dunno: You could always buy the aftermarket shifter assemblies that eliminate the funky stock linkage.

I've read that rebuilding an AX trans is relatively straight forward.

Yeah Pete, Skyjacker makes one that we sell. I was thinking about that after I posted.

Does the TJ trans also clock the t-case higher?

Would it be simpler to just buy the shorter output shaft and rebuild my current 2WD tranny to a 4WD one? What else would I need to make it a 4WD tranny? Everything I have read the last few weeks ( a TON of stuff ) and no one mentions doing this. Seems like it is as straight forward as a rebuild, right?

Yeah Pete, Skyjacker makes one that we sell. I was thinking about that after I posted.

Does the TJ trans also clock the t-case higher?

Would it be simpler to just buy the shorter output shaft and rebuild my current 2WD tranny to a 4WD one? What else would I need to make it a 4WD tranny? Everything I have read the last few weeks ( a TON of stuff ) and no one mentions doing this. Seems like it is as straight forward as a rebuild, right?

The TJ and YJ transmissions are essentially the same.

It is generally not worth it to make a 2wd trans into a 4wd. Mostly because buying the parts costs too much. In your particular case, if you used the parts from the YJ trans to convert your MJ trans, the end result would still be a YJ trans. See, the back end of the transmission housing is what clocks the t-case up. The holes are in a different position than XJ/MJ transmissions. I would use the YJ trans and rebuild it if necessary. Just be aware that there are slight differences. I love the extra bit of ground clearance. I was able to make a flat skid plate to protect the trans. :D

99 TJ on top, 86 MJ on the bottom.

TJ trans/t-case in my truck. I have a custom trans crossmember and used the TJ trans mount, so yours may not be quite a close to the floor. Or it might be closer. I don't know. :dunno: I do know that the problems are overcome-able and the ground clearance is nice. :D

I believe (it's been awhile) that I nipped off a bit of the aluminum tabs sticking out of the t-case where it got close to the floor.