Ignition Cylinder Issues

Ignition Cylinder Problem:

So when I bought my 88 MJ, the ignition was stuck in the on position. Truck came with a new cylinder, so I had a guy put it in for me.

Problems:

1. After getting the ignition installed and the steering column mostly installed, the key became stuck in the off position. It would release but not move forward. He took it all apart again. Got it moving, put column back together. I moved the key into on position and then off, and now I got the ignition stuck in off position again.

2. The ignition seems to have no resistance in the start position. no spring to it. It feels as though it is just like turning key to on position. No spring feel from start to on.

Now I do not have a battery in the truck, and have not made an attempt to start the vehicle since I bought it. Its not quite ready, Electrical fixes needed. But I will be making this attempt soon and I really need to solve this lock cylinder issue. Any ideas thoughts?

Always appreciated,

Ant

Sounds like someone broke the lock somehow. Some times a screwdriver and hammer were the skeleton keys of the 80’s.
I’m not sure what your going to have to do to fix it.

Was the lock cylinder assembly what was replaced? Then the internal mechanisms of the new cylinder should be ok.
If that’s the case something has got to be broken in the column, good news is it’s all generic gm parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sounds like someone broke the lock somehow. Some times a screwdriver and hammer were the skeleton keys of the 80’s.
I’m not sure what your going to have to do to fix it.

Was the lock cylinder assembly what was replaced? Then the internal mechanisms of the new cylinder should be ok.
If that’s the case something has got to be broken in the column, good news is it’s all generic gm parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It could be the ignition slider is going bad too. Mine did that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cylinder is connected by a metal rod to the switch on the bottom of the steering column underneath the dash.  Remove the switch and see if you have all positions of the cylinder with full rod movement.  If you do, either take apart and clean out the switch, which is easy to do, or replace it, easy to find.  If you don't you will need to replace the cylinder, which requires a complete steering wheel and guts removal, not a fun job.  My bet is you have a gummed up switch.  Good luck. 

Thanks that was very helpful. I found out my resistance issue was related to the switch but something is still whacky in the column. Time to open it back up and take another look

Did you replace the ignition slider? I lube the linkages while it’s out and the key portion as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk