any way to reduce the amount of oil I'm burning?

Will zmax or anything help?

To help what?

You don't know what's wrong, so how can you figure out what may help? A quart of oil in 500 miles is a symptom of a MAJOR problem. I think either your rings aren't seated, or the cylinder walls are scored. You can't figure out which without removing the head and inspecting the cylinder walls.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure my issue is valves. I just took the truck on a 1500 miles round trip at 75mph and didn't burn any oil. But at start up and before the engine gets up to temp I get a lot of smoke at idle, and when I take off from a stop I get a big puff and thats it. Is it fairly safe to assume that i have a valve issue?

I'm pretty sure my issue is valves. I just took the truck on a 1500 miles round trip at 75mph and didn't burn any oil. But at start up and before the engine gets up to temp I get a lot of smoke at idle, and when I take off from a stop I get a big puff and thats it. Is it fairly safe to assume that i have a valve issue?

Dunno, but valve seals (which aren't really seals, but "deflectors") are cheap and a lot easier to install than doing a tear-down. Give it a try.

No you don't. You can get a air chuck that threads into the spark plug hole. Presurize the cylinder with both valves closed and remove the spring locks and springs then replace the guide seals.

A old hot rodder trick is to get the cylinder at the bottom of the compression stroke. Remove the spark plug, feed some heavy string down into the plug hole. Then rotate the engine back up to TDC. The string will hold the valves in place so you can remove the keepers and springs. Then replace the guides. I have used the second option a few times and it is much cheaper and easier than the air method.