AC Pump Questions

The wife's been begging me to fix the AC in her XJ for several weeks now. I finally had some time to look at in and have some questions. For reference it is a 1993 XJ with the 4.0L HO motor.

It seems that the PO had the hoses off the back of the AC pump. Upon further looking at it I have noticed why. The hoses won't go onto the back of the pump. The nuts on the hoses are way to big, and the inner part of the hose will not fit into the back of the pump. I looked at my '89 but the system is totally different. I unfortantly do not have another 91+ XJ/MJ to take a look at within the next few days.

My question is this. Am I missing an "adapter" piece? Or is the pump itself wrong? The pump fits the bracket very well so I'm going to assume it's off of a 4.0L. Was there different pumps threwout the HO years? I know the Renix pumps have the hoses on the top, and the HO have the hoses on the rear. I'm stumped. Anyone have any insight? I'd like to get her AC working again as we have a newborn and not having AC in the hot/humid days makes even the short trims seem l_o_n_g.

Here are some photo's showing the parts.

100_1942.jpg

100_1944.jpg

100_1945.jpg

The wife's been begging me to fix the AC in her XJ for several weeks now. I finally had some time to look at in and have some questions. For reference it is a 1993 XJ with the 4.0L HO motor.

It seems that the PO had the hoses off the back of the AC pump. Upon further looking at it I have noticed why. The hoses won't go onto the back of the pump. The nuts on the hoses are way to big, and the inner part of the hose will not fit into the back of the pump. I looked at my '89 but the system is totally different. I unfortantly do not have another 91+ XJ/MJ to take a look at within the next few days.

My question is this. Am I missing an "adapter" piece? Or is the pump itself wrong? The pump fits the bracket very well so I'm going to assume it's off of a 4.0L. Was there different pumps threwout the HO years? I know the Renix pumps have the hoses on the top, and the HO have the hoses on the rear. I'm stumped. Anyone have any insight? I'd like to get her AC working again as we have a newborn and not having AC in the hot/humid days makes even the short trims seem l_o_n_g.

Looks like you're missing the valves. There's a real good diagram in the 91-93 parts manual. I think you already have it - if not I can send. Figure 24-1700. Here's couple of pics of my 91:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Looks like you're missing the valves.

Valves? There are additional valves that I didn't post in the photo's? Your photo's of your "valves" look no different than the photo of the valves I posted.

It looks to me like I have the wrong AC pump on it (thanks stupid PO!).

Valves? There are additional valves that I didn't post in the photo's? Your photo's of your "valves" look no different than the photo of the valves I posted.

It looks to me like I have the wrong AC pump on it (thanks stupid PO!).

No additional valves; I just missed them the first time in your pic. According to my parts book, the 91 and 93 use the same R12 compressor, 56004354.