ignition switch

i had to replace my ignition switch. its located on top of the steering columnand has 2 plugs coming from it. one of the plugs was melted so i snagged a plug from the j yard and now I'm having the damnest time getting it in. is the on easy way to lower the steering colum about a foot so i can see easier? and has anybody replaced these before?

Yes, just remove the 2 bolts on the under side of the column to the instrument panel, And the column will drop down to the seat, almost, but don't let is just dangle there, it will put a lot of stress on the fire wall connection.

Are the two wires your dealing with for the 'key warning buzzer'??

they arent just two wires. theres a total of about 8 wires, ( 3 in one plug, and 5 in the other). the buzzer is one of the functions they control, but since they have gone bad, they also control the radio, turn signals, windshield wipers, and cigarette lighter.

does any body have any pictures of this part being taken out an d put back in??

there are also two metal rods and I'm total confused now on how they go in.

Ho.....your dealing with the turn signal switch too......I looked for a link to a cut away for the column before I posted your reply, and I did find one, but it's a downloaded Zip file.....so try this -

http://www.lunghd.com/Downloads_and_Links/Downloads.htm

About 15 down look for - Ignition Switch & Lock Cylinder servicing

Down load the link, and un-zip it, and it should help you :brows:

There are 7 pages to the file.

If not, I can find some other info for you in the FSM.

The metal rods your talking about are for the ignition switch on the bottom of the column, and they will control the turn signals and radio, in other words, the "ON" function of the switch.

Also......do you have an automatic, column shift, or auto floor shift??? Or Manual transmission??? There a difference in the steering columns. And what type steering wheel do you have, the 2 spoke style (station wagon style) or the 3 spoke sport style????

Yea, additional info is needed to "steer" you in the right direction ;)

i have a 4 speed manul. i will try and post some pics of my difficulties soon.

Thank you wildman, that link REALLY did help, or atleast clarified how i was supposed to put it in. i always seem to take things out and forget how they were supposed to go in.

can i buy a factory service manual at a jeep dealership??

You don't have to post pictures, I just want to know if you needed additional diagrams of the steering column ;)

And like I asked, the type of column you have, and the 4 speed manual tells me that.

I like others have found the FSM on e-bay and they sell for $65-$130, I got lucky and got a brand new set for under $100 :roll:

But latter I found this site -

http://www.lunghd.com/On_Site_Tech.htm

Right near the top of the page, click on the 'red' link, and it will give you a place in OH that sells the FSM, Address and phone # ;)

I have no idea what they sell them for :dunno: Unless some one else does, or you can call them and let us all know :brows: