Small gas engine... need some advice

jtdesigns

My neighbor asked me to help him start his tiller, the other day.. I went today and we tore it apart and put it back together, but it didnt fix it..

Its a vertical shaft, 3.5 briggs&striation (spell??)

The problem is it jerks back violently, won't start, and shoots fuel out of the carb..

I took it all the way down to the crank, cam, and everything looked ok.. was thinking the valves were stuck nope they worked fine, then was thinking the crankcase vent was stopped up, no it was clear. Kelp going to check the cam gearing,,

The cam fell out when the case was split so I placed it back according to a mark on the crank, and a mark on the cam gear..

Put it all back together and still the same thing..

Do any of you crazies out there know anything about these engines?

I'm thinking now the motor on it is from a lawnmower.(remember this is on a tiller) It doesn't have any sort of flywheel (or blade) to keep it turning in the right direction.. so it builds compression and then reverses its rotation,,,

Thats the only thing I can theorize is that inertia from a blade or flywheel isn't completing the rotation of the crank and piston....

The marks were like this..

1. [*:39yq3nwe]The crank had a straight line stamped into a tooth,,
    [*:39yq3nwe]There was a dot in between two teeth on the cam gear.

I was thinking there had to be some kind of mark for timing, so I went ahead and matched them and slapped it together...

I'll have to discuss more later,(EXAMS= :hmm: ) but I wanted to leave this for tonight to get some brainstorms...

Thanks fellows your one in a few, you mj'ers!!

jamminz.gif

Since it's still doing the same thing from before you split the case, then cam timing doesn't appear to be the problem (or you simply reset it and perpetuated the problem, but how did it get off in the first place).

I'd take a look at ignition timing, but it's been decades since I played with a B&S motor, so I couldn't really offer any advice.

Have you looked at a manual:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/maint_repair/manual_and_more/

Thanks camper mj guy! I was correct in thinking the motor was off a lawnmower... jamminz.gif

Bad thing is it won't ever work without a big flywheel...

Cool. Glad I was able to help a bit.

My MJ is a dedicated rig for my Baja desert race pit work:

159216756_eMpvk-L.jpg

It is a bit "compact" compared to my buddy's rig:

222168178_yPEjM-L.jpg

but I love it just the same! jamminz.gif