Serpentine belt change, trouble starting

Started having some problems about a week ago, noticed the belt would squeal upon start-up, sometimes some smoke. The belt would eventually stop squealing, but felt hot to the touch. It looked pretty grooved and missing some chunks, so I went ahead and replaced it.

I think I got the tension about the same as it was before I removed it. However, my truck will no longer start. When I crank, it cranks pretty slow, like something is wrong with the battery or starter. Measured battery at 12V. Tried to jump it, and it turned over faster, but still no start.

Is it possible that the belt is too tight, causing the engine to have difficulty turning over? I also noticed a grinding noise after I had tried to jump with no success, like perhaps the flywheel or starter is missing some teeth or something. My clutch has started to go out, I'm 80,000k miles with no change. Any ideas?

EDIT: By the way, its an '86 with the 2.5L and 5 speed.

It's more likely that some bearing is seized up, which is what fried your old belt, and with a new belt properly tensioned the starter has to try to turn the seized bearing.

I would loosen or remove the belt and check to see if the a/c compressor, water pump, idler pulley, alternator, and power steering pump all turn freely.

Finally had some time to go out and check. Found that the AC Compressor pulley does not turn freely...or at all for that matter.

Is the pulley something that can be replaced, or does the entire compressor have to be replaced? Any suggestions?

Sounds like the compressor is seized. Needs rebuilding or replacement. Getting one from the yard would be the cheapest way out.

Isn't the system pressurized? Would I have to have a shop remove/replace it, or is it something that can be done in a home garage with basic tools?

Yep. It's illegal to vent the refridgerant gasses (especially if still R12) to the atmosphere, so a shop has to evac the gas if you want to be legal. Then you can replace/repair the compressor and bring it back for charging. Might be a good idea to switch to R134a at this time. That's what I'll do if my compressor ever breaks since R12 is hard to find now.........