2.5L Renix VS 2.5L MPFI flywheel dimensions?

Ever since I did the external slave swap, I've been having trouble getting the gears in from a stop with the clutch in. The gears grind like if the clutch doesn't fully disengage. I have a TJ 2.5 AX5, slave, master and release bearing, but the Renix 2.5 flywheel and clutch that worked previously with the internal slave transmission. I've bled the clutch system many times, it has no air in it, and makes no difference. So after doing some reasearch, it seems like Renix and MPFI flywheels and clutches are different. I've got the specs for the MPFI flywheel, but can't find any info on the Renix one. Anyone have the overall thickness, or crank mounting surface to friction disc surface thickness?

26 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

I can bust out my carbed flywheel this evening and measure for ya. It’s the same as Renix just without the gaps for the ECU to read

That would help a lot! I want to finally get at the bottom of this to find out what's going on!

1 hour ago, OldSch88L said:

That would help a lot! I want to finally get at the bottom of this to find out what's going on!

It’s funny you bring this up cause I am having a mildly different issue. I can drive the XJ just fine but putting the CPS on and all the way brings it too close to the flywheel yet I’m using the right era bell house. But it needs one bolt and to be close enough to run haha. 

On 5/27/2024 at 12:38 AM, eaglescout526 said:

Thickness from starter gear ring to top is 1 1/8”

From bottom to top is 1 3/4”. 

Well, from what I gathered from Rockauto, the MPFI flywheel seems to have the same dimensions as the Renix one you just measured... I'm stumped!

Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 13-44-00 More Information for SACHS NFW2005.png

Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 13-42-54 More Information for PLATINUM DRIVELINE FW008.png

2 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Now when you swapped, you got all the parts for the HO right? Clutch disc is mounted correctly too right?

Nope, I've got a 2.5L Renix four popper. The clutch and flywheel are still the same as when it was 2wd with the internal slave AX-5. I've converted to 4x4 with a 2.5 TJ Wrangler's AX-5 trans, release bearing, external slave and clutch master cylinder.

34 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Ok. Now what about the clutch disc? Do you remember having the word “flywheel” face the flywheel when you were installing it?

I didn't take the pressure plate and disc appart, as I just did a transmission swap. With the truck having a verified 126000km (around 78000 miles) at the time, it could pretty well be the original clutch as well.