19 – Headlight harness installation

HEADLIGHT HARNESS UPGRADE

It’s easy to install a supplemental headlight harness.image.jpeg.c9f46b26fe1a14e6cd96e79813a9587e.jpeg

image.jpeg.223b3a56e6ada8d4ca5e54894720c279.jpeg     

From the factory, the voltage to the headlight bulbs travels from the battery, through connectors, inside the cabin, to the headlamp switch, and then back out to the lamps via undersized wire and more connectors. It’s not uncommon to find only 10.5 volts at the lamps.

The supplemental harness is installed so that it provides battery voltage to the lamps and is just triggered by the factory wiring. The result is about 35% brighter headlamps and headlight switches that don’t melt and burn out.

Ebay has the harnesses. 2 headlamp H4 with ceramic connectors is what you want. You’ll likely be warned that the harness won’t fit your Jeep. It will absolutely plug and play:

• Remove grille and headlamp bulbs. I fed my harnesses from the passenger side starting between the battery and the back of the headlamp housing, over to the driver side.
  • Plug the driver side bulb into the new harness.
  • Attach the new harness’s ground wire under one of the small bolts on the radiator support after scraping the paint off under it.
  • Attach the harness to the existing harness behind the grille working toward the passenger side.
  • Plug the new harness plug into passenger headlamp.
  • Plug original headlamp plug into receptacle on new harness.
  • Attach the ground for the passenger side just like you did the driver side under a radiator support bolt.
  • Attach relays with provided bracket on the passenger side inner fender.
  • Connect power wires to battery.

Revised 1-31-2016

• 4 weeks later...

I know people in the comments on this tip [via the cruiser54 website] chatted about the Waggy XJ headlight upgrade being figured out, but I never actually saw any resolution to that. If there is one, are we able to post it here as well?