Factory fog light function

We are in the middle of a winter storm out here in the deep south and I had to go to the office this morning while the snow flakes started to really come down. I went ahead and turned the fog lamps on the suburban (2005) and put the headlamp switch on park lights position, I am able to run the fogs with park lights only. Once I returned home, I fired up the JK and turned the park lamps on and the fogs, no problem. I've always been under the impression that one could run fog lamps as long as the park lights are on, and this being standardized, but it sounds like this is not the case on some vehicles. Also, I once got pulled over by the popo at a small Texas town because I had my park lights and fogs on but no headlights on a rental JK. The officer informed me it was illegal to do so but no ticket was given.

Properly mounted and aimed fog lamps can help the driver navigate in thick fog or when snowing hard or during heavy rain while on the road, they do so by helping to see the lane markers a little better than the headlamps do. But one can always end up in the ditch...because limitations :)