4.0 engine swap question

have a chance to buy a mint '96 xj 4 door with a connecting rod sticking out of the block.i have a 93 or 94 xj with a 4.0 ho for parts.can i use the engine or the block from the older xj in the '96? both are aw4 auto 4x4.if the parts will work,will the obdII emission system be ok with the older stuff?i don't want a rig with a check engine lite on that i can't fix due to a bad mix of parts.thanks.

96 should be the last year for OBD1 i think... unless the engine went OBD2 and the body stayed the same... i'm not sure which

but the actual blocks will interchange, just retain all the wiring and stuff from the 96 and swap out the sensors. idk if the intake/exhaust changes but i don't think so

96 was the first year of OBD-II, but it was a crude implementation compared to the 97. Really more like OBD-1.5. But the 94 engine should be fine with the newer computer. Just use the sensors from the newer engine. You should also check the injectors, I don't know for sure but they used a couple of different sizes through the Chrysler years and the 96 injectors may be larger than the 94.