Replace Wing Windows for 1987 Pioneer Model

summerinmaine

Due to a vandalism/theft event, I'm in need of replacement wing windows for my 1987 Pioneer model truck. These are the ones that will open out on pivots (called "smoker-style" by some) and apparently need a small frame as part of the unit.

The existing "frames" in my truck look pretty rusty (a common problem as I understand it) so I'm hoping to find complete units, but if it's just the glass I can try to make it work.

As an alternative, does anyone know if a fixed side wing would fit into the door frame?

Jeep driver side wind wing.jpeg

To my knowledge the window and frame are all one unit, you have 2 options. One replace it with another wing window, or replace the whole unit with a solid window and lose out on the wing window feature 

Solid non moving 

F0245FFE-FB0E-44C0-8C87-FF6EC0A749FB.jpeg.583448ffa83cf96b81136a823ae5c49b.jpeg

Moving wing window

4D96337C-FBFE-4C29-ACF0-FA1532E62672.jpeg.10f5745bff53afdd388ed3f5ec39e516.jpeg

note these are directional and are specific to drivers/passengers side 

9 minutes ago, summerinmaine said:

Wow!  Thanks for the info and images! I had already found that a fixed-window replacement was a fallback option if my search here was unavailing, but it was nice to see what the replacement pieces would look like.

No problem, just watch out if you buy wing windows, the bottom attachment rod that the window pivots on is very commonly broken, but can be welded as long as you have access to a welder. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just to close out this post, I sourced a pair of fixed wings from Kody, and they worked great. I gave it some thought and realized that in the 15 years I've owned my MJ I only ever opened the passenger side smoker wing to run the cable for my GPS radome (that I mount to the roof of my camper), so looking for unobtanium smoker style wings in good shape wasn't a high priority for me. I did save the old frames, and figured I'd see if it was worth trying to rebuild them with replacement glass.