wire problem need help

I have an 89 MJ. It stalls when I release the key back to run. If hold the key forward it will stay running until i release key. Am almost positive it is a bad wire. Someone posted me saying they had same problem and it was a bad wire next to fusible link behind the battery. Anyone have any idea on which wire or wires i should start with. Thanks.

Most likely the ballast resistor for the fuel pump is bad. The start circuit by-passes it, which is why the truck will start when you turn the key but not run when you let the key back to the RUN position.

The ballast resistor is that white-ish ceramic block on the inside of the driver's fender, next to the air cleaner box. It has two wires coming off it. As a test, just jumper those two wires together and see what happens. (Note: it is safe to run it with the wires jumpered. The resistor was not used at all in 1987. It's there to slow the fuel pump down to reduce noise.)

Already tried the balast resistor. That would be way to simple for my luck. Tried the ignition switch, it has a new firing module, and the key cylinder was replaced a while back. The battery was replaced before the truck was driven to me from Florida a couple weeks ago. So the wire behind the battery seems like it could be the problem. I actually brought it to a mechanic and he tested the cps and checked the comp too. Any idea which wire it might be?

• 2 weeks later...