87 Comanche, engine swap wiring, odd or maybe common question

I am  just getting an 87 Comanche from a guy. Engine is late 90s cherokee 4.0, same w / trans and axles. He told me needs the harness wired up. How in depth is this? Lots of splicing? If the harness is not there, will I need to find an MJ or an XJ harness, or both? Thank you. 

did they swap the interior too?  it could be as simple as connecting everything where it goes and then splicing in the taillight harness.  

it's hard to say what's needed without knowing exactly what's there. 

you'll find some 97+ conversion info in the link in my signature. :L:  

It looks like definitely a more modern interior for sure I was kind of curious about that too

did they swap the interior too?  it could be as simple as connecting everything where it goes and then splicing in the taillight harness.  

it's hard to say what's needed without knowing exactly what's there. 

you'll find some 97+ conversion info in the link in my signature. :L:  

76e9fa7d8a4bdf694ef43c0316b23a53.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well that’s definitely good to hear then. So the would be an all XJ harness? Bums me out I like the 80s interior but oh well

looks like they were attempting a full swap.  that makes your life easier   :L: 

I mean, it's your truck, you can change it up as you see fit if you're willing to put in the legwork. :L:  you can still buy up a 91-95 XJ and swap in the OBD1 wiring and interior.  these Jeeps are like Legos and anything is possible. :D   but you're going to need to do your homework to know what specific parts to use and what tweaks are needed to run old stuff with new or new with old.  the link in my sig is a great place to start

Awesome I will definitely research all of that. I appreciate the help! Excited to get it started

I mean, it's your truck, you can change it up as you see fit if you're willing to put in the legwork. :L:  you can still buy up a 91-95 XJ and swap in the OBD1 wiring and interior.  these Jeeps are like Legos and anything is possible.    but you're going to need to do your homework to know what specific parts to use and what tweaks are needed to run old stuff with new or new with old.  the link in my sig is a great place to start