Anyone know anything about pianos?

Pete M

I've recently come into possession of a Chas. M Stieff upright piano and can't find a date on it anywhere, just a serial number (35303). Anyone know of a website that has data on Stieff pianos? If I can get some time, next week I'll try and track down a local piano business to see what they can tell me.

I'm not a piano expert, but a quick search on Google found info on a Steiff with s/n 38549 being made in 1920 and one with a s/n of 43800 being made in 1929. That's about 580 pianos per year and assuming that that was the average then your piano at s/n 35303 should be close to 1914 or so.

A couple of other links mentioned that Steiff made a quality piano, they were based out of Baltimore. Here's a forum that has some info:

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultim ... 1;t=009067

I suppose you could register there and ask about your piano, they might be able to get you a more exact date.

Yup, my searches came to the same conclusions. And some searching on pianoworld has told me that, while I have a very old and apparently well-built piano, it ain't worth jack. Bummer. Tomorrow I'm going to search out some local piano shops and get their opinions about what to do with it. I'd rather not scrap it out if I can sell it, even if the selling price is less than the $$ in brass inside.

Image Not Found

Looks like it would be real nice all polished up, no one plays piano in the family?

My GF has a upright piano that her grandmother gave her years ago and she recently had it repaired and tuned. The repairman told her that she would never get the money back she spent on repairs and to only fix it if it had sentimental value, which it does have.

The only person in my family that plays already has a piano. And there's no sentimental value here beyond trying to save a 90 year old piano from the scrap pile. I finally got approved for the piano website, but I bet I already know what they'll tell me.

The piano definitely needs a tuning and likely needs new felt. But I'm no expert and maybe tomorrow (cause the heat today is unbearable) I'll haul it over to a piano store and see what they say.