Mouting 242 Tc to an Ax15

Recently got an Ax15 from a 1993 Jeep Cherokee that I been rebuilding to swap into my truck. I found a locally a 1996 Jeep Cherokee with the 242 transfer case. I know the spine counts are the same but I was wondering if this was a direct swap to mount the 242 Tc to the Ax15. Are the input shafts to a transfer case different between auto and manual?

Any help is appericated

Not sure I would call it a '"direct swap" since there are a few potential pitfalls, but it's certainly doable with the right combination of parts.

The big thing is to be mindful of the input gear length, in addition to the spline count. The AX-15 should have enough room to accept short and medium gears, but trying to fit up an NP242 with a long gear could cause you some issues.  The long gear NP242s were most commonly used on the WJs, so avoid those.

Assuming your truck currently has an NP231, the shift linkage will be the same, the metal shift gate on the trans tunnel will need to change, and the electrical connectors to the XFR case will be different.

ETA:

Just remembered that at some point, the speedometer sensor changed from being cable driven to an electronic sensor. Just another thing to look out for.