2018 Toyota Sienna brake calipers

Yes this is an MJ-related topic despite the alarming title. I'm mostly pointing an interesting thing I discovered. 

So the story begins with a seized driver's side caliper on my 2wd '91. No big deal, I go to local parts store to order it, but they have a tough time tracking down the 2wd stuff they have listed. But we found something listed that we could get, except it said "front mount, if rear mount order opposite side". So I did that thinking it mounts to the rear of the knuckle.

While I was at the parts store today because the guy pointed out the discrepancy between me saying driver's side and the number saying passenger, I googled the part number and the picture that comes up had the bleed screw on the wrong side, so I'm convinced I've got the wrong one, but it had a journey and was a day late so I won't know until tomorrow.

But then I noticed it was listed as fitting a 2018 Sienna, which was weird enough to make me look into it. Sure enough there's a handful of new Toyotas it fits in addition to the 80's Jeep/AMC stuff, presumably for the rear brakes.

As absurd as it sounds that Toyota would be repurposing an AMC-designed brake caliper, that makes far more sense of rear-mount/front-mount than rear or front side of the front axle. I guess reusing an existing design would also cut design costs... It's just strange. 

But hopefully it means more availability for older less-common parts. :dunno:

That or someone at Napa just screwed up their listings, which I find more likely. I guess I'll find out what shows up. 

Weird, because front or rear there ought to be little to no resemblance to 2018 calipers. Same basic function but the design is closer to what was high performance in the 1990s . Got to be a catalogue error.

The newer Toyota looks like newer Jeep , I don’t see any car company going backwards, compromising safety for the sake of a few pennies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well yeah. That's kinda what I was thinking. 

This is the one I ordered:

https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/CPR24274893S?

Now looking at it I think it might be the right one after all. Er.. The left one I mean. 

And yeah, the Sienna callipers on RockAuto look different, but they also cross to all the other recent Toyota applications that are listed here. It's definitely odd. I'm almost tempted to order in the Toyota calliper just to see what's up.